How does PUB shape your body

andieje

Cathlete
Hello

I have just bought PUB and I have to say that I don't like it.
:( :( :(

I know so mnay people on this forum like it and it was because of the glowing reports of the dvd that I got it.

My favourite dvd is slow and heavy. After doing slow and heavy I have actually developed a dislike for fast paced workouts. I do not feel I engage my muscles as effectively when I work out fast compared to the way I work out using slow and heavy. PUB just seems too rushed to me.
I know perhaps I can modify it to meet my needs but I am disappointed. I do not have to modify s&h - it is just a great dvd I can simply work out with.

SAying this, I will stick with PUB in case it grows on me. I was just wondering how PUB shapes your body. It seems to me to be quite endurance based. I was assuming that PUB is more for sculpting and developing cuts in your muscles rather than building muscle. I was wondering how you PUB devotees found the effect on your body shape. :)

If PUB is for muscle shaping it is probably not the workout for me either as I am a bit overweight and you have to have a very good physique to see cuts in your muscle. I can see my muscles grow when I use s&h and that helps give me motivation.

Thanks for your comments
Andrea

I am a devotee of Slow and Heavy Weight lifting also. I do throw PUB into my schedule however, but frequently will do the pyramid up or down only with heavier weights than I would use if I was doing the entire pyramid. What I really like about the Pyramid series is the flexibility of the workout. I can work out one body part a day if I want or mix one upeer body exercise with one lower body exercise/day or go for the whole workout. I typically do Slow and Heavy once a week and pyramid once a week where I break the exercises up over the course of the week. I also do one to two circuit workouts a week. Let us know your results and how you modify Pyramid to suit your needs.

I really like PUB, with modifications. Like with PLB (though not as badly as PLB), I think the workout is too fast paced at times. I "correct" this by taking a bit longer between sets (though I do this mostly on PLB). I also use a heavier weight for bench presses than for flyes, so I start ahead of the gang with my flye weight, then take time to change to a heavier weight for the presses. Thank goodness for DVD, which makes it easy to "chapter back" to an earlier chapter (though, unfortunatly, the chapter points on PLB are just before the first rep of a set rather than a few seconds sooner, into the "preparation" stage of the move. That makes it necessary not just to chapter back, but to rewind a bit as well).

I agree with you, Andrea, I like Slow and Heavy much more than Pyramids. For me, the fast pace of Pyramids aggrevates the tendonitis in my elbow. With the relaxed pace of S&H and the concentration on good form, I get great results and no pain.

>
>
>If PUB is for muscle shaping it is probably not the workout
>for me either as I am a bit overweight and you have to have a
>very good physique to see cuts in your muscle. I can see my
>muscles grow when I use s&h and that helps give me
>motivation.
>
>Thanks for your comments
>Andrea

For me, the purpose in PUB is to train the muscles for endurance. If you only work slow and heavy, you'll build strength but not endurance. By switching up between slow and heavy and endurance training, in my opinion, you keep your body guessing more, and avoid plateaus.

I'm doing 14 days on Cathe, then 14 days on my own heavy weight work (failure in the 4-6 rep range), then back to 14 days for Cathe. Since I'll do Cathe in rotations, and I have quite a few DVDs to choose from, I think this may be just the shock my body needs. I'll know around the 28th, which will be my 8 week mark since adding Cathe to my routine.

I use ME and Power Hour for endurance work. For some reason, they don't bother my tendonitis the way the Pyramids do. I totally agree that you should do both strength building and endurance weight workouts. I just finished 3 weeks of S&H and am currently doing an endurance rotation.

Yes I believe that the endurance based workouts are used more to shape and sculpt the muscles whereas the heavier weight workouts are more for building muscles. As others have said you need to mix it up from time to time to keep seeing results or you will pleateau. Alot of people who already have a little extra weight actually don't like the heavier weight workouts because in some people when the muscles get bigger they look bigger, but this is where the endurance workouts come in, doing them helps you to take that new muscle and chizel it. I love the pyramids. I don't even have S&H. I was actually turned off from it because everyone was saying that it made them bigger. I already have a very muscular body, so I have never felt the need for it. I am very sculpted and chizeled just from doing the endurance based workouts alone so they definetely DO shape your body, believe me.

Good luck and enjoy your workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.