DVD School

cathec

1)Sound Problems: All sound problems can usually be corrected by changing the “Audio” setting on your DVD player to “PCM”. Depending on your systems configuration you may also want to try the “normal” setting.

2)Layer Change: Some movies, especially those over two hours long or encoded at a high data rate, are spread across two layers on one side of the disc. When the player changes to the second layer, the video and audio may freeze for a moment. The length of the pause depends on the player and on the layout of the disc. The pause is not a defect in the player or the disc. You can now purchase some DVD players that feature seamless layer changes.

3) If your disc freezes, skips or will not play, always try cleaning it before contacting us.
Cleaning and repairing DVDs
If you notice problems when playing a disc, you may be able to correct them with a simple cleaning.
• Do not use strong cleaners, abrasives, solvents, or acids.
• With a soft, lint-free cloth, wipe gently in only a radial direction (a straight line between the hub and the rim). Since the data is arranged circularly on the disc, the micro scratches you create when cleaning the disc (or the nasty gouge you make with the dirt you didn't see on your cleaning cloth) will cross more error correction blocks and be less likely to cause unrecoverable errors).
• Don't use canned or compressed air, which can be very cold and may thermally stress the disc.
• For stubborn dirt or gummy adhesive, use water, water with mild soap, or isopropyl alcohol. As a last resort, try peanut oil. Let it sit for about a minute before wiping it off.
• Try Lemon Pledge. It sometimes works wonders on problem DVDs.
• There are commercial products that clean discs and provide some protection from dust, fingerprints, and scratches. Cleaning products labeled for use on CDs work as well as those that say they are for DVDs.
If you continue to have problems after cleaning the disc, you may need to attempt to repair one or more scratches. Sometimes even hairline scratches can cause errors if they just happen to cover an entire ECC block. Examine the disc, keeping in mind that the laser reads from the bottom. There are essentially two methods of repairing scratches: 1) fill or coat the scratch with an optical material; 2) polish down the scratch. There are many commercial products that do one or both of these, or you may wish to buy polishing compounds or toothpaste and do it yourself. The trick is to polish out the scratch without causing new ones. A mess of small polishing scratches can cause more damage than a big scratch. As with cleaning, polish only in the radial direction.

4) Check all of your discs before calling us. This way we only have to send replacements once. Also, if you have problems with more than one disc it is a strong indicator that the DVD player is more than likely the cause of your problem.

5) Tracking Your Order: You can track your order from our website. There is a link to this page at the top of our Home Page. Please note: You can only track your order after your DVD’s have shipped and UPS has updated their computers. This usually happens after 9 pm each weekday night.

6) Always email us if you have a problem at [email protected] Email is the fastest way to get in touch with us. Only call us if you don’t have access to email. All 800 calls go to an order/answering service and they in turn relay your message to us. Since this is a two step process it will take longer to get a reply if you call instead of emailing.

I've also had sound problems in the VHS tapes that I purchased. Any suggestions on how to fix these?

Cathe,

How long does it take to get a response after e-mailing? I ordered the entire 36 title DVD set and Power Hour got crushed in shipment. I e-mailed 3 days ago about an exchange or the possibility of getting a replacement cover and haven't heard anything.

I want to get this squared away. Thanks.

I'm wondering if there's something going on with my player. Is there a certain setting that would help or could I just have a lemon? Anyone else have player problems?

>What kind of problem are you having?

The picture will suddenly freeze. If I wait it will either continue playing or skip to the next chapter. This happened again on Monday when I was doing Muscle Endurance for the first time. I then stuck the dvd into my computer's dvd and the same section that froze on my regular player ran just fine. I finished the workout from my computer then afterwards tried my regular player again and while it didn't freeze again it kind of skipped a bit.

This has happened on other dvd's such as Crosstrainer and some movies. It's very unpredictable. I try not to leave the dvd's out between uses, etc. The dvd manual didn't mention this problem but I tried playing with some settings to see if it made a difference. I'm afraid my player may be a lemon so I'm open to any and all ideas. :)

Hi, this is Rich Wiggins and I'm new to the forum (in fact this is my first internet forum of any type!) but I have had the SAME problem with the DVD freezing. In fact, I replaced my brand new DVD player because I assumed that IT was the problem.

Another question is how do I "MIX and MATCH" the portions of the workout? Just click that and it will automatically scramble the workout?

I am new to DVD's and have a very cheap, basic DVD player. I went to Best Buy and several other electronic stores to see if they had programmable DVD players and I was told that they don't make such a thing. I explained to the salespeople exactly what I was looking for, a player to sequence chapters on exercise videos and they all thought this was a wonderful idea, but had never heard of such a thing. Well, after reading these posts, obviously it is possible. Can anyone help me out as to what Brand or store I need to shop? I just bought a couple of DVD's because of all of this hype and now I feel like I wasted my money. HELP????????

Thanks
Marsha

I bought my first DVD play from Best Buy ~ a Panasonic. After 7 months and it broke. They told me to repair it, it would have cost more than two times the price I paid for it!! My next purchase was at Boscovs ~ a Sony. It was $100 with a three-year warranty and they will professionally clean it once a year for as long as I have it.
Susan C.M.

Thanks for your reply. Is it able to handle the layers of Cathe's discs and not freeze up? Also, it is fully progammable so that you can preset the workouts in any order you want?

Thanks
Marsha

It holds one DVD at a time. Since it is fairly new I have not tried any of the programing yet, but it has not frozen up at all, and also it goes through the "pauses" in premix workouts within a few seconds.
Susan C.M.

>Great. Do you happen to know the model number?
>Marsha

It's Model number DVP-NS325. Also, I paid $80 for the DVD and $8 for the three year warranty. The cost of the DVD was $100 but I asked the salesman if he could take any off the cost. It doesnt hurt to ask.

Susan C.M.

I got cathe classics dvd in ebay recently. It came with 3-4 minor scratches. I wouldnt have bothered if it had played fine. but the dvd freezed at some points and skipped at more than 3-4 places in the dvd. (skipped to next chapters)

can I just keep the dvd like this ?Will the skipping increase in time and damage the dvd more or Do I have to ask for a refund ? (The seller is willing to refund me )

Thanks for your help..

It depends on how bad the scratches are.DVDs are made with redundant memory so small sratches will not usually cause problems. You should also try cleaning the DVD and testing on another player.

I have 3 DVD players (comes with the territory of working for RCA), and one of my CTX DVD's plays just fine on two of my players, but skips and freezes something awful on the third one. I think that if a DVD skips/freezes, it is the player and not the DVD.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.