Can someone answer a question about Power Hour?

JoyceMarie

Cathlete
Hi all!

Ok, if this sounds like a really stupid question please forgive me!

I did PH last night (and every muscle I own is reminding me of this!) and whenever Cathe started a set using a barbell, she would mention how much weight she was using. Now, did she mean the total weight including the barbell, or did she just mean the weight of the plates? Because it looked to me as though it was just the plates...

Thanks for your help!
Joyce

About those plates....

Ha! I kind think once you get up to 40 pounds in plates, the weight of the bar itself is kind of forgotten! In other words, I don't know for sure but I think they just count the plates.

I know most people here love barbells best but I have to say how much I love my Body Bar. The highest I've ever seen them sold in a store is 18 pounds but you can order heavier ones from fwonline.com and sometimes local stores will order them for you. All the weight on the bar is evenly distributed and it's just so much easier to handle. Plus, there's never a possibility of a plate falling off, so they're actually safer too, that is if you have a fear of falling plates like I do. The only thing I really don't like is that it makes the work less effective on the beginning of PS BBA, on the first part of the back work. I've been using my wrap around velcro ankle weights around the top end of the bar to try to compensate but I guess that's just one of those barbell specific things.

Don't have mine yet, but . . .

in the past when they give a weight used, they are giving you the total, including the bar itself. BUT, since I am (im)patiently waiting for the DVDs, I can't say absolutely for sure.

On the body bar topic, I have 2: an 18 lber and a 15 lber. I love both and if space weren't an issue, more at other weights would be on my wish list. :) As it is though, I get the same padded effect with my Ivanko bar, and am able to make it pretty much whatever weight I want. So until I have my own private gym . . . ;-)

Hi Joyce,
I did power hour yesterday, and I believe that when Cathe mentions the weight of her barbell she is talking about the TOTAL weight, including the bar.

I did a mental calculation based on the size of the plates she had on the bar and I think on the 40# she mentions for legs she has a 10, 5 and 2 1/2 on each side which would add up to 35 # of plates + 5# of bar for 40#. Or this could be just what I want to see LOL.

I agree that on her other tapes, when she gives the weight she is using, she is referring to the total including the bar.

-joy

A 5lb barbell bar?!?! Those are made?!?!? Man!! What have I been missing out on?!?! My barbell bar is 15 lbs! I know in PS Cathe's bar is 15 lbs also cause when she does triceps dips, she says she has 35lbs on it! There are only 2 10lb plates. I did even realize that bars were made as light as 5lbs!! And where do I get one??

Aimee

RE: About those plates....

I love my bodybars so much I don't even have a barbell. They take up less space and with a 3 yr old I would worry about the plates with a barbell. I have a 12 and an 18 now and plan on buying a heavier one eventually. When I bought my 18 pounder at Academy Sports they also had 22 and/or 24, and 28 pounders. They were definitely a little pricey but worth it to me because of the safety and space issues.

Hi Aimee,
The Ivanko bar is 10 lbs., & the Troy Lite bar is 5 lbs.
There is a thread from 4/25/01 discussing the Troy Lite, & a thread from 5/5/01 discussing the Ivanko. The Ivanko is padded, which is tempting me... ;-)
Ruth

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I really appreciate your input. I think Stargazer is right about the barbell only weighing 5 lbs. That was my first thought too - that Cathe and her crew were using a lighter barbell.

Joyce

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.