Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance

jengollf

Cathlete
I am not a long time Cathe-user like so many people here, but I started doing Cathe in April of this year. I actually had a Cathe workout sitting on my shelf that I bought more than 5 years ago. I bought two at the time, actually--but I can't remember the name of the other one because I promptly gave it away (it was a cardio-step workout). When I first purchased Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance I was primarily a Firm-user. So when I did Bootcamp it kicked my a$$--I DID NOT LIKE IT. Though I loved using my transfirmer to high step--the excessive amount of high stepping in Muscle Endurance was murder for me. And the cardio step choreography in the other workout was so complex I couldn't follow. I also remember the premixes being confusing--I had no interest in premixes. So as I said, I got rid of the step workout and for some reason kept Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance, where they sat on my workout DVD shelf for years gathering dust .

In the intervening years, I started looking for more challenging workouts than the Firm and progressed to Jari Love, Michelle Dozois, Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, Amy Dixon--then P90X, ChaLean Extreme, TurboFire, Peak 10/Peak Fit Challenge and Insanity.

In April of this year, something made me pull out Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance. I was astounded. These workouts were no longer too difficult for me--in fact, they were exactly what I was looking for and what I needed and wanted! It has been a snowball effect since then (as I have mentioned in other posts), where now all I do is Cathe workouts and I own almost all of them.

Since I have hoarded so many, I haven't been able to give individual Cathe workouts the attention I'd like to--I love them all and want to do them all, but there is only so much time in a day! It's been a while since I've come back to Bootcamp and Muscle Endurance, but I did this week--in fact, today was Muscle Endurance. I ADORE these workouts! Bootcamp is fun! I don't think it's a great strength workout--though she does hit every muscle group and I go heavier than she does. But it is FUN and still a great workout! But Muscle Endurance--WOW! I had forgotten what a monster that one is! AMAZING. And I LOVE all of the leg presses. Adore them! And I also just noticed today--she is not using a 14 inch high step. She has 6 risers--so it is 16 inches! And 5+ years ago, 14 inches was too hard for me! Today I did it at 16 inches and it was awesome and intense!

I have also come to appreciate Cathe's premixes--in fact, they are some of my favorite parts of her workouts. Today I noticed a "bonus" premix at the bottom of the menu screen. Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance premixed!!!! OMG. I am so excited! I cannot believe I have had this gem sitting on my shelf for so long and neglected it! I CANNOT wait to do this premix.

And I actually have a question, too, for anyone who has read my rambling post to the end. I do understand that Bootcamp is a circuit workout--but would it be considered more of a metabolic weight training workout to be used as cardio, or should it be used as strength? When I do Bootcamp I lift much heavier than Cathe does. She lifts pretty light in Bootcamp compared to how heavy she lifts in other strength workouts. Is that why she uses light weights? Because it's meant to be used as cardio?

Bootcamp plus Muscle Endurance

I am not a long time Cathe-user like so many people here, but I started doing Cathe in April of this year. I actually had a Cathe workout sitting on my shelf that I bought more than 5 years ago. I bought two at the time, actually--but I can't remember the name of the other one because I promptly gave it away (it was a cardio-step workout). When I first purchased Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance I was primarily a Firm-user. So when I did Bootcamp it kicked my a$$--I DID NOT LIKE IT. Though I loved using my transfirmer to high step--the excessive amount of high stepping in Muscle Endurance was murder for me. And the cardio step choreography in the other workout was so complex I couldn't follow. I also remember the premixes being confusing--I had no interest in premixes. So as I said, I got rid of the step workout and for some reason kept Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance, where they sat on my workout DVD shelf for years gathering dust .

In the intervening years, I started looking for more challenging workouts than the Firm and progressed to Jari Love, Michelle Dozois, Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, Amy Dixon--then P90X, ChaLean Extreme, TurboFire, Peak 10/Peak Fit Challenge and Insanity.

In April of this year, something made me pull out Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance. I was astounded. These workouts were no longer too difficult for me--in fact, they were exactly what I was looking for and what I needed and wanted! It has been a snowball effect since then (as I have mentioned in other posts), where now all I do is Cathe workouts and I own almost all of them.

Since I have hoarded so many, I haven't been able to give individual Cathe workouts the attention I'd like to--I love them all and want to do them all, but there is only so much time in a day! It's been a while since I've come back to Bootcamp and Muscle Endurance, but I did this week--in fact, today was Muscle Endurance. I ADORE these workouts! Bootcamp is fun! I don't think it's a great strength workout--though she does hit every muscle group and I go heavier than she does. But it is FUN and still a great workout! But Muscle Endurance--WOW! I had forgotten what a monster that one is! AMAZING. And I LOVE all of the leg presses. Adore them! And I also just noticed today--she is not using a 14 inch high step. She has 6 risers--so it is 16 inches! And 5+ years ago, 14 inches was too hard for me! Today I did it at 16 inches and it was awesome and intense!

I have also come to appreciate Cathe's premixes--in fact, they are some of my favorite parts of her workouts. Today I noticed a "bonus" premix at the bottom of the menu screen. Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance premixed!!!! OMG. I am so excited! I cannot believe I have had this gem sitting on my shelf for so long and neglected it! I CANNOT wait to do this premix.

And I actually have a question, too, for anyone who has read my rambling post to the end. I do understand that Bootcamp is a circuit workout--but would it be considered more of a metabolic weight training workout to be used as cardio, or should it be used as strength? When I do Bootcamp I lift much heavier than Cathe does. She lifts pretty light in Bootcamp compared to how heavy she lifts in other strength workouts. Is that why she uses light weights? Because it's meant to be used as cardio?

Hi Jen,

To reply to your question, Bootcamp is a metabolic workout. You can work your strength lifting moderate or heavy as long as you keep good form.

As to the premix you are referring to, I recall briefly viewing it. Both Bootcamp (fun, fun and fun) and Muscle Endurance are great. I recall the barbell bicep curl from muscle endurance to be one of the most challenging. Reps are high and there are challenging partials to do. Partials are absolute killers, they burn forearms but when you do it properly with good form you gain strength. Plus Cathe has an Evil laugh at the end of Barbell curl lol. oh boy I do recall that :D:D:D

Yes--those bicep curls with crazy 8s were brutal! I believe there are over 80 reps!

And thanks! The metabolic weight training with heavier weights is new to me but I am loving it. I am always happy to add a new one to my cardio repertoire! I will use it as cardio and match weights with Cathe in the future. However, when I do the BC/ME premix, I'll go heavy and make it a strength workout.

Muscle Endurance is one my favorite all-time full body workouts, just a great all around fun burn.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.