Biceps

MasonK

Cathlete
Hello to this educated crowd. I have been a faithful Cathe user for the past 4 months. I have meen using MIC, MIS, Wedding, Cardio Kicks and StepFit. Last week the CTX series arrived at my door and I was quite pumped to give these a try. Well, I did Triceps on Thursday night and then on Friday evening I did Bi's and Chest and then on Saturday afternoon I did back and shoulders -- I did all these tapes in their entirety. On Sunday I did StepFit at 8". Well, I feel great, except for my left bicep! OUCH!!! It really hurt yesterday and STILL hurts today. My alarm went off at 4:15am and I promptly re-set it for an hour later because I thought -- WOW I'm STILL in pain, better give it a miss this morning. Do you think I should lay off working the arms for a couple of days? Did I just overdo it? If I do a tape (not Bi's Tri's or chest) tonight do you think it will help or hurt? Any advice would be most appreciated.
THANKS!
Kathleen

Hi, Kathleen,

I always lay off for a day or two if I am too sore. I also stretch lightly. If you don't want to lay off, you can always lighten up on that side. Listen to your body!

:)
Bobbi

Thanks. I kinda figured as much -- I just never had this much soreness before! I have been stretching as much as I can and will definitely "baby" the left bicep until it feels a bit better. I'm sure you can relate to not wanting to let up on any "momentum"... Thanks for the reply. K--

Kathleen, I just wanted to add there is a big difference from OUCH...SORE...I really worked that muscle" and constant, sharp pain. When you start a new exercise, or add weight, it's not uncommon at first to be very sore. But that soreness, especially in the bicep, can be suspicious if it is constant rather than just when you try to use stress it again. I think the fact that only one side is extraordinarily sore is an indicator as well that you may have worked that arm just a little hard and perhaps strained it a little. Usually the RICE method and ibuprofin are just the ticket. Be conscious of how you are holding your weight next time you work out....make sure your form is solid.
All I am saying is that you should trust your instincts. A pulled muscle will take you OUT for weeks, and a few days off your weight training won't cost you anyting. But don't be afraid of that"good" soreness. I always leave at least 3 days in between working a body part hard, to give it time to recover.
SOunds like you are really seeing results! Congrats on all the hard work. :)

Thanks Kristina -- It was really amazing how the pain just vanished after 3 days off. I was brave and did CTX Kickbox and biceps this morning -- and I feel fine. I think I just really overdid it a bit and scared myself! Thanks for the words of encouragement -- now if only my glutes would start seeing some definition! YIKES!!! K--

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.