Best DVD for correct form?

nickie

Hi all:

I am restarting an exercise program, and need some advice on which video would be best for learning good form for strength training.

I currently have the following of her DVDs:

Basic Step & Body Fusion
Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting
Body Blast Series
Hardcore Series

(I have others from the same time period, but they aren't relevant to my question.)

I'm not a big fan of the clothing in some of the older videos, but if one of those is a better reference guide for good strength training, I'll try to ignore it! Also, I like floor work (I have a knee that may be troublesome until I strengthen my leg muscles) so hope to incorporate that into my program. I want to make sure I learn to do the exercises right when I do programs that don't have as many form tips.

So far, I've been working with the Basic Step and Add-Ons from that video as per the recommended beginner rotation.

Maybe I'm more worried about this them I should be and my current DVDs will be okay, but I figured others on this board would be able to give me feedback on this!

Thanks!

Hi Nickie. Cathe includes extensive form pointers and instruction in her Power Hour DVD. It sounds like you're hoping for a newer release, but I just can't think of any of Cathe's other workouts where she takes the amount of time she takes in Power Hour to breakdown how to do the workout correctly.

This DVD also contains 2 other of her older workouts: Maximum Intensity Strength and Body Max. I actually use Maximum Intensity Strength fairly regularly. It's a high rep/low weight total body workout. Cathe doesn't give as much instruction as in Power Hour, but once you've mastered the form you can progress to Maximum Intensity Strength. The third workout on the DVD (Body Max) is cardio + weights, but she released a Body Max 2 later on and I like that workout better. Overall, I think this DVD would give you what you're looking for. HTH! Good luck on your new fitness adventure. :D

I also find that the Slow and Heavy series has great instruction, even better than Power Hour (IMO). But Power Hour is great too.

Firemedic is correct---Slow & Heavy has a lot of form pointers, as does Power Hour. I have to admit that I don't do the 10 degree tilt in SH---it does not work for me. The STS series also has form pointers, if I recall correctly.

I'm going to say Muscle Max and Gym Styles!

It could be because those were the first Cathe DVDs that I used and was amazed at how well thought out and instructed they were. I had until 2008/2009 always lifted in the gym both on my own and with trainers. I hated watching people use weights on tv or DVD bc the form was always so poor. Cathe explains and just looking at her form as well as the crew's, you can't go wrong.

Because one it a total body and the others are splits, you get different form pointers for each. She's always a stickler for core form as well!

If you wanted to go only with what you have, go with the Total Body workout first.

I think her Pure Strength series has alot of great form pointers and instruction! It was my first intro to Cathe strength training.

I could use some tips on form. Whenever I work my upper body, I end up with a hurting neck and jaw (I need to just train myself to RELAX my face and throat - I love chi kung and should have this down by now) and often chest.
Great suggestions here! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.