Barbells

Beth1

Cathlete
I have never used a barbell before and want one. Where can I get one that will be compatable with Cathe's workouts. Where does everyone else buy them from. I've looked at ones in Modell's and Sport's Authority (I live in NYC) but what they sell are 110lb sets -that seems a bit excessive.
:)

Hi Caren,

I purchased mine at Walmart for 20 bucks. It is a 55 pound set. I haven't had any problems with it at all. You can order it at Walmart.com too, but it costs like $20 for shipping.

HTH
Aila

Thank you. I never thought I'd ever be asking this question - have been "lifting" for years, but only did my first Cathe workout last Spring and I cannot believe the changes that have occured physically and emotionally - I have never felt so fit before, and am ready for the next step.

I just got my set also from Walmart. My Walmart didn't carry it so I had to pay the $20 for shipping.....but honestly, at $43.00 total...I wasn't going to find something even close to that price, so I'm happy! It also only took 5 days to get here...during the holiday....so that was cool too!

~Stephanie~

"Happiness is knowing what you are doing next without me saying it!" - Cathe

I also asked this question today on the open forum. You might want to check out the thread on that: "Where can I get a decent barbell". I ordered from the amazon link attached by a kind soul and got an 80 pound set for less than $28, INCLUDING shipping. Not sure if there are too many Wal-Marts in NYC!

Susan

Caren,
Do you live near a fitness specialty store? When I bought mine, it was at a fitness store that only sold equipment and I was able to buy just a barbell - they sold a lot of individual equipment for that matter unlike places like Sports Authority. It wasn't a chain store though.

Jo

I want to get started using barbells so much, that I did the same thing yesterday - thanks to the very first reply I also ordered the
$20 set from Walmart and paid the shipping. After pricing them all day I realized that the only set I could get without a shipping cost was a 110 lb set from Modell's ( and honestly that's at least 50 lbs too much) for $40 without tax. So, I figured same price and I'm getting exactly what I want. If I can ever lift more than 55 lbs (doubt it, not even sure I want to) I can always buy extra plates. I hope it's a good one, and am assuming it is - since there are already 2 people who have replied with the Walmart answer. Thank you - I can't wait to get it.

I did look on Amazon yesterday, but somehow missed that set - so I ordered the one from Walmart. Certainly hope it'll be a good one, hoping so since 2 people out there say they're using them. But, hey I figure I'm just starting with them, if I need a better set down the road, I know I'll find a way to buy it. No matter how much I have to crunch to make ends meet, working out has become that important to me. I didn't start until I was in my early thirties (!) and trust me when I say that I've never felt or looked the way I do now when I was in my teens and twenties.
You are all so great for replying. None of my friends get this working out thing - they only do it when they get that surge of "have to lose weight" and then stop after the initial start. So it's nice to have people to talk to and ask questions.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Hi Caren,

I have had my barbell from Walmart for about 1 1/2 years. I haven't had any problems with it at all. My sister owns the same set and hers is fine too. We purchased it together. We bought it at the store, so I didn't have to pay the shipping. Maybe you can find out if the one at Amazon is the same one and possibly cancel the order at Walmart?? Then you can save on shipping and just order it from Amazon.

Aila:)

I looked on the site that makes the bar yesterday, they only offered the 55 lb set and then went up into the 100's - so don't think it will be the same one, I'll look. But, given what you've told me and the others who have gotten this one, I figure $43 is worth getting the exact amount that I want, I'm not even sure I have room for the extra plates (given the dumbells, step, body bars, ankleweights etc.) that litter my living room (where I work out) now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.