Back Pain and gliding discs

Tedster

Hello All,

I just started back to my Cathe DVD's after being away from any formal exercise for six months. I thought I would start out with a dvd that would not be too taxing so I started with Cardio Supersets. I made it through the w.o. fairly well however, the next day and for several days after my lower back was quite painful and I have not been able to do a tape since, although I think I will try again tomorrow.
I am assuming since I was away from Cathe for so many months that my abs were just not in good enough condition to support me through the gliding portion and I used my back improperly instead of my abs???? I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with gliding discs and an out of shape core?!

Thank you in advance for any input and suggestions.

Cyd

Are you using the disks on carpet? I am and I've found that they place a strain on my lower back (I think the disks would slide more easily on a tile or hardwood floor). My lower back has been prone to problems for years. I'd characterize my abs and core as weak, so that could be part of it.

I like Cardio Supersets a lot and encourage you to not give up on it. The first four rounds do not involve the disks. What I usually do is the warm up followed by the first four rounds, the bonus segment (my favorite part of the Low Impact Series), and if I still have time and energy, I finish rounds 5-8 but I modify them to minimize the use of the disks.

I'm not sure I've answered your question, but you might get the info you need if other people chime in here. Please be sure that your back is completely healed before trying to use the disks again.

CommittedtoFitness said:
Are you using the disks on carpet? I am and I've found that they place a strain on my lower back (I think the disks would slide more easily on a tile or hardwood floor). My lower back has been prone to problems for years. I'd characterize my abs and core as weak, so that could be part of it.

I like Cardio Supersets a lot and encourage you to not give up on it. The first four rounds do not involve the disks. What I usually do is the warm up followed by the first four rounds, the bonus segment (my favorite part of the Low Impact Series), and if I still have time and energy, I finish rounds 5-8 but I modify them to minimize the use of the disks.

I'm not sure I've answered your question, but you might get the info you need if other people chime in here. Please be sure that your back is completely healed before trying to use the disks again.

Committed-

I use the discs on hardwood (with the covers) and carpet, and they definitely slide easier on carpet. The trick is to spray a little a pledge on the bottom...wipe it off and whoosh, you're sliding all over the place...be really careful!

Thank you

Thank you all for your input (and concern). The suggestion for Pledge was just perfect!! I do have to use them on carpet and also felt that there was more resistant than there should be. I am very excited to try them now with the addition of the Pledge.
I have spent the past couple of weeks doing some of Cathe's easier DVD's and paying much more attention to training my abs and my back seems to have recovered very nicely.

Many thanks again to all,

Cyd

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.