Is anyone NOT ordering the new workouts?

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I have been contemplating whether or not to pre-order the new workouts.

I have most of Cathe's heavy weight training series but I have not been using them regularly in a rotation for the past few months. The reason being I do not want to develop the muscular look, so I switched to using more full body light weights/high reps like ME, MM, Jari Love etc.

I am also experimenting with other instructors' videos and I like the different stepping styles, although I don't find them to be as intense as Cathe's. I have Christy Taylor, Seasun Zeiger, Mindy Mylrea, More Than Mat Pilates to name but a few. And I would like to purchase more.

My question is, should I pre-order the new series knowing that I might not be using the weight training as much? I know I want to pre-order the boxing series and the new step she is filming later in the year. And on top of that I want to buy Kimberly Spreen, more Mindy Mylrea etc.

I don't want to buy so many as I still have ones I haven't used yet (no time).

Yen

If heavy weight training isn't for you, then I would wait for her high rep/low weight workout that she will be filming later this year. I'm the exact opposite, I like the heavy weight training and don't do well with Jari, ME and Power Hour. Everyone's different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else. I would order what you feel comfortable with and what workouts you know you will do instead of them winding up sitting on the shelf collecting dust. However, the cardio seems to be quite varied in this one so maybe you might want to get it for the cardio.

Marcy

Hi Yen,

I'm not pre-ordering these. The 4-split format wasn't of much interest to me, so I'm taking a pass on these and waiting for the boxing and MP3 workouts.

Like you, I'm also experimenting with some different workout styles, particularly with regard to strength training.

Are there more boxing workouts coming out? What are the MP3 workouts? How do you find out what Cathe will be coming out with in the near future? I'm new to all this.
Thanks!

Yen - just as an aside, unless you have freakish genes or an elaborate home gym, you are not going to get an overmuscular look from doing Cathe weight workouts at home. There is no way you can lift that amount of weight doing her workouts. Even Cathe's look is achieved by regular, aggressive gym workouts using heavier weight than she uses in her videos. Try them out - you can always lighten the weights, as well. You'll get a nice toned look, which is a good thing. Plus, weight training is good for the skeletal system, the metabolism and improved overall body tone. Enjoy!

Hi,

I know what you mean about not being able to bulk up. I have been doing Cathe for years and I have not developed muscles to a great extent. I have only basic equipment like dumbbells and barbells, I am not as committed to the weight training workouts as I should. I know at the rate I am going I will not bulk up, but you know it's rather difficult to get the idea out of my head.

I also think that I do have quite a good selection of weights DVD like Gym Styles series, Slow & Heavy series (only used about 1-2 times), Pure Strength series (used to used quite regularly), Pyramids series and Supersets & Push/Pull. On top of that I have all the endurance ones. I just think maybe I have enough weight training variety, whereas I don't seem to have enough cardio like kickboxing and step: I seem keep doing the same workouts again and again.

I am very very very tempted to get this new series though and I might eventually cave in. I will see how long my resolve last.

Yen

I finally caved after seeing the pics. If nothing else, the premixes interest me more than the set workouts. Then you are free to do whatever you want with the weight work, imo.

I use BM2 primarily for the premixes as I don't have 90 minutes plus to do my workout in the morning, so I am applying that same theory here.

Hi Yen,

I am rather afraid to use the heavy weight that Cathe and Crew are using. I have found the max I can benchpress safely to be 20 lb.

I plan to modify the weights part -- as I have no desire to get a very muscular look.

I think Cathe will offer some cardio intensive premixes, so you might want to consider that.

Cathe's preorder prices can't be beat and if you don't like them after you purchase them, there is a might big market willing to pay for them at Ebay.

I always pre-order and have never been disappointed in any series. There may be a few workouts I part with, but I end up buying most of them back.

But ultimately, of course, the decision is yours!

:)

Thank you so much for the great explanation!

I was concerned these weight sizes might overly bulk me.

I am still scared of using such heavy weights due to injuries.

I don't fancy dropping a 30 pound weight on my face.

Anyway, thanks for the great explanation!

Cheers!

Amy

>My resolve is broken. I just ordered the new series.
>
>Yen

And, you'll be GLAD you did! There has to be something in just about every one that will interest you even if it's a premix! Glad you caved!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Well, I wasn't going to order them........until all of you got the best of me. I just preordered}( .
Thanks!
-Jen

I'm holding down strong. I'm not going to cave. I will not cave. It's hard, especially seeing the great pictures, detailed descriptions, awesome looking new menus, BUT I don't like step. I'm too klutzy for it, and it doesn't appeal to me. So not being able to buy them separately what's keeping me in line.

You know, I had no intentions on getting them, especially since I'm working my way through some new Cathe videos. But I kept looking at the blog and now I am going to break down and do it, even if I don't do them for a while! I have a new credit card on its way to me and should be here any day now (hopefully tomorrow!) and as soon as I get it, I will do the preorder and order a couple of other videos as well.

I'm such a junkie...but I'd much rather spend the money on something that is good for me, something that improves my phsyical and mental well-being, than something else. And DH doesn't mind because he really likes the results I get!

LuvExercise,

What about asking someone you know that may like step workouts to split the cost with you and you keep the bootcamp/kickbox and they can take the step dvd? Or buy the set and sell the step portion?

That might be an option! I think that the bootcamp and kickboxing workouts will be wonderful, particularly if you don't care for step workouts. :)

Good luck with what you choose!!

I would first like to say that for women to develop a really "muscular look" takes a lot of dedication, hard work, low percentage of body fat probably around 18% as well as a whole lot of protein and complex carbs.
This being said weight lifting, even using moderate to heavy weights for women will not give you a big and bulky look but rather a lean toned and strong physique. Muscle will change the shape of your body and instead of looking lumpy and bumpy you will look lean and long.

I think you should definitely order the new series it is a great deal and there are so many things you will be able to do with the DVDs. Light weights and high reps will not build a lot of muscular strength. You would be better off going with 1-3 sets of 12 with a moderate weight which will be more effective both in building muscular strength and endurance, something that is crucial to performs Cathe's workouts.

Good luck on your decesion!!
nkuangel

That's a good idea but at the other forums I visit, most people who are on the fence about ordering also aren't interested in the step portions. Maybe I'll wait for someone to sell them secondhand.

>LuvExercise,
>
>What about asking someone you know that may like step workouts
>to split the cost with you and you keep the bootcamp/kickbox
>and they can take the step dvd? Or buy the set and sell the
>step portion?
>
>That might be an option! I think that the bootcamp and
>kickboxing workouts will be wonderful, particularly if you
>don't care for step workouts. :)
>
>Good luck with what you choose!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.