Anyone done Muscle Max yet?

CurlyQ

Cathlete
Or even previewed it? I'm dying to know how it is (awesome, I'm sure). Does it compare to ME or PH?

I tried to hold at as long as I could and not ask questions only read everyone's review of HC, but I couldn't resist. Someone please have pity and answer the question regarding this topic, for this lowly person who has to wait for her dvds to arrive b/c she (me) ordered at the 11th hour, please;( .

Haydee

Hi Curly Q and Haydee. Curly Q here you have the first impressions of one menber of the video fitness reader forum:

Muscle Max first impressions after doing workout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I did Muscle Max last night (I thought I would preview but after the first 16 beats, I was up and doing it!).

Here are my first impressions:

The first thing I noticed was...the statues...and I thought...the Firm. After getting over that surprise, the next thing I noticed was Cathe's arms and overall appearance, which looks leaner and her muscles are more noticeable (I am not sure if she is actually more defined than before, or if she has lost every last molecule of bodyfat. She has more noticeable vascularity in her arms. She looked to me the way bodybuilders look before a competition, especially in her facial cheeks).

The third thing that I noticed about MM was the amount of weight that everyone used, which was heavier than previous workouts (i.e. 40 pounds for legs). The fourth thing I noticed was the music, which made me want to turn off the sound; it was a steady, electronic mass of sound, even during the cooldown. The fifth thing I noticed were the outfits with the low pants with the horizontal bands that go across top; I don't think they look flattering (on anyone) (I'm into fashion, so I can't help noticing those things).

My general impression of the workout is that anyone (who is not a total beginner) can do it, but would have to use lighter weights. It's a total body strength workout. There are not a lot of sets of most exercises, and Cathe uses a variety of exercises per body part.

My other general impression of the workout is that there is nothing new or unique about this workout and that it is similar to past workouts, with the exercises being in a different order, and with a few new twists, including the use of a dynaband. I do not like the way you have to hold onto the dynaband, since it stresses the hands after a while, so I substituted my Spri bands with handles, and I thought it worked much better.

The core work at the end was good. I noticed that Cathe is lifting her entire lower back way up off the floor during the reverse curls. I recall that Cory Everson taught that in her old Bodyshaping shows, but in more recent years, I believe the trend was to not lift so high, so as to prevent momentum and not strain the spine. Cathe's core is so strong that it just lifts like it's weightless, but I think that most people (including some of her background participants) will use momentum for that exercise.

The workout felt long to me; it clocks in at 68 minutes. I think that it will provide variety for days when you want to do a total body weight workout. I feel I need to do it a few more times to get a better and more set opinion of it, but these are my general impressions after doing it once through (late at night).

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :) :)

Does this person generally not like cathe much, or what?!?!?! :7

Ah well, we can make our own minds up....

Clare

I was thinking the same thing Clare. I have to disagree with the fashion statement though - low rise pants are very flattering on thin people, especially Cathe and crew :)

I know opinions are just opinions, and I'm confident that I'll love MM.

Someone asked for opinions on a specific workout, you got an opinion. And no, from what I've seen of Mariángeles' posts, she doesn't "dislike Cathe." I think she's just trying to tell the good and the bad.

I didn't read the opinion as Mariangeles' opinion , she stated that it was an opinion from a member over at Video Fitness. I'm sure Claire understood that too.

Hi all,

Generally speaking, I think it is important to preview and do the workout a couple of times before I can make a determination. Everyone is different and base their impressions on different criteria.

From what I know of the person who provided this review, she really likes Cathe's workouts. This was her initial impression and it was honest as she saw it.

A side note: It is my understanding that in general people who post over at VF don't appreciate their posts being taken off of the forum. I think it is ok to provide a link though. Not scolding anyone, just trying to keep the peace and avoid any misunderstanding between forums.

jordan

Hi, I have to say it is not my opinion about the workout.I ordered the dvds by CK sales. I don't have the dvds. I did wanted to bother nobody. I only read someone was asking for a first impression about this workout, I saw this post in the video fitness reader forum and I post it here without read it before.I only wated to help.I love the Cathe workouts. I am waiting for my hardcore order.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie.:) :)

I have to say I love the new outfits that Cathe and the girls uses in the new series. I have the Rio de Janeiro black/pink ( the top and the pant) that Cathe uses in IMAX 3. I have the turquoise top of Low Max and the black pant of kickmax too.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :) :)

Guess I didn't read the post well enough to see whose opinion it was! Though I DON'T think it's kosher to post another person's post from another forum without their permission. Maybe just a breach of netiquette, but maybe a copyright issue as well ?

I'm sure I will love this dvd as I love every dvd/vhs that I own of Cathe. I patiently await my HC series and will order any other dvd that I do not have.

Have a good night all.

Haydee

Thank you Stayfit, I appreciate your effort in finding me a review.

I wasn't trying to be nasty - I meant for my post to be read light heartedly :) Too bad tone can't be "heard" in a post.

Mind you, I havent done the workout yet, but after previewing it, I thought WOW! I like the slower rep speed used compared to other total body workouts like PH and ME. The longer length was what I was looking for as well. I think the outfits are cute and to be honest I cant comment on the music b/c I was paying more attention to the actual workout. Music isnt a big factor for me anyways. I'll post a separate mini review later in a separate post.

I previewed this evening - this is my total-body weights workout for tomorrow.

Muscle Max strikes me as the best of Max Intensity Strength and Muscle Endurance, combining the organization and focus on one body part at a time, from large muscle groups to small (MIS) with the high rep count and variations on reps (4 up, 4 down, 2/2, singles, low ends) that ME has. There aren't a lot of sets of each exercise but each set is long.

I'll be going WAY down in weight from what Cathe and the Crew use - no way can I do barbell curls at 35# or a set of squats with pulses, low ends, and 4 up/4 down counts with a 40# barbell!

The workout has a good core/abs section too - again, not a lot of exercises but lots of reps of each exercise. It looks tough.

I'll probably post a mini-review at VF after I've done this a few times, or I'll update this post if I have much to add.

Thanks Shywolf! No kidding! I sure am capable of discerning the difference between Mariageles' opinion and the opinion of the VF person whom she quotes. Kathryn, thank you, but I do not need it pointing out to me! I hold mariangeles responsible for nothing here! And yes, it's that person's opinion, and that's just fine, but I can comment on it too, and the smiley face generally means that I'm really not taking it too seriously.

Thanks anyway

Clare

Mariangeles,

no te preocupes hija, nadie se mete contigo!!! No has hecho nada mal.

Y ya veras cuando te lleguen que estos nuevos "workouts" son una alegria! En estos dias tristes de invierno me vienen de perlas.

Clare

Yeah, I just previewed it too.

The oufits are fine! Who cares what they wear?!?!?! It's better than the grotty old t-shirts some of us wear!

It's a solid total body routine. Cathe likes gym style, it's her trademark, so there's no point expecting her to go all new age on us. No paper plates required. What can you do with the old standards? You can vary tempo, pulses, and introduce the band to work some muscles even harder. And this Cathe does.

Personally, I think the music is a trifle dull. But it you like techno, it will blend into the background and allow you to focus on the moves. I like the music from Supersets best, but then people complained that the actual workout was too easy. So, I figure you can't satisfy everyone at the same time. Across the entire series, I am sure we will all find some particular favourites.

And yes, I think the workot is well planned and executed and the core section is particularly well laid out and explained.

What's it's like to actually do it: anyone?

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.