Your New Gym

KathyH

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! I was wondering how things were going with your new gym. A while ago you had renderings of drawings of what the new gym was going to look like. What's the status if you don't mind me asking.

Also I'm having problems with the ab section in the Pyramid Upper Body tape. My wrists hurt so much that I just can't complete this section in its entirety at all. Any suggestions? Best regards, Kathy:)

Kathy (and Cathe) I have this problem too. My core isn't so sore, but my wrists are killing me.

Briee

I began having wrist problems, too. After doing the Intensities exclusively since getting them, I knew something in these was the culprit because I'd never had a problem like this previously. I figured it out!

For me, it's the hand position on the pec flyes in PUB and ME, and possibly the hammer curls. With PUB, I'd increased my weights significantly over what I'd used in the past... The position of the wrist caused a different stress than what I'd been accustomed. I rested a week, then when I got back to my workouts, I used the typical hand position. It made a huge difference! I still have some healing to do, but now that I know the problem, it'll happen.

Connective tissues, ligaments, and tendons, need time to adjust to the new weights, even if we're muscularly strong enough to go heavier.

Hi Kathy! The gym is coming along nicely. There is a lot involved so it takes time.

As for your wrist pain, Apryl is absolutely correct. Connective tissues, ligaments, and tendons, definitely need time to adjust to new weight increments as do they when new stresses are placed on them due to different body positions(ie: prone stability ball positions). So ease into all new exercises gradually, never taking on too much too soon.

If you are currently very tender in your wrist, take a break from all exercises that aggrivate it and rest it for about a week. You can also take a couple of ibuprofen during this time. Then after one week start doing stretching and strengthening exercises for the wrist and continue to do them from here on out(ie: strength examples: wrist curls with dumbbells, use a device called a grip master, squeeze a small ball etc. For a stretch, gently stretch hand and fingers backward away from palm and then forward toward palm )

Once returning to your prone stability ball exercises, place more of the weight on the mounds of your fingers, taking stress off the heel of your hand (again, work into this new hand position gradually too). You can even try rolling a towel in a long tubular span (3 inch in diameter) and placing it under the heel of your hands while you are in these positions. Hope this helps.

Take Care and good luck!

Thank you, Cathe!

I appreciate the advice!

I made the mistake of jumping in too soon, and did BC Sat. Even though I was careful, I aggravated my wrist again. Back to square one, but this time I'll work up gradually. :) Live and learn!

Can't wait to get back to the Intensities! LOVE these workouts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.