Workout with Rheumatoid Arthritis

TG007

Cathlete
Hi,

Just yesterday, I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I'm so relieved now that I know what is going on in my body (joints!).

I've been working out with Cathe's DVDs and considered myself an intermediate exerciser (really want to be an advanced exerciser :) ).

However, since my aches and pains started I've been more and more crippled. It's been a few months that I could only go spinning (lightly) and lift only very light weight.

Now that I know what I have I'm dealing with it. I still can't go much heavier than very light weight. With the medication (no pain) I should be able to go back to the level I was soon.

I just wanted to know if anyone is living with rheumatoid arthritis and how they deal with it and especially when trying to stay in shape.

Thanks,
TG

Last edited:
Hi TG -
I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, but I do have osteoarthritis in my hands and wrists. I've had to make several adjustments, including using lighter weights, because it's not good for me to grip the heavier weights. I also use lifting hooks for most exercises, which reduces the need for me to grip, while allowing me to use a bit heavier weights.

But my problem is only in one part of the body. With Rheumatoid, I assume it's pretty much body-wide with you? You'll just have to experiment and see what works, as you already know. But you might try switching to bands and tubing instead of dumbbells and barbells for upper body and see if that makes a difference. And for lower body, you might try barre work, and moves that Cathe uses with the gliding discs. Those discs are quite effective for body weight leg work.

Once you see how those non-weight exercises work, it might help you to judge better if you'll be able to work back into weights.

As for cardio, if I were you, I'd stay on the bike, or maybe an elliptical, and avoid any impact for a while, until you feel that you have the best control of your pain that you can get.

As my doc told me about the osteo, it's not going to go away or get any better. So take the best care of your joints that you can. Staying as fit as we want will be a challenge - and might not be possible. But we can still stay quite fit and healthy!

Thank you so much for your advice!

I guess I might not be able to do a lot of things even in the long run.

Yes, rheumatoid arthritis is here to stay!

You're very welcome! I hope it helps at least a little. Just keep working to find what's right for your body. You may not have the athletic body you dream of (me neither!), but just keep using all that you learn here and through Cathe's videos to stay as healthy and fit as you can.

Thank you very much!

Yes, your reply and advice helps!

I am hoping I can go back to lifting weight very soon.

I guess 6-pack is out of reach now?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.