workout regime?

teppy

Hi Cathe. This is my first post although I have been doing your step workouts for going on a year now. Let me say that from the first time doing step, I was hooked. It works for me. I started doing jazzercise in January 2005. Last year at this time, my son started varsity football and needless to say, my time and my workouts were all scheduled around his football schedule. That imposed on my jazzercise classes. So, I had to figure out other ways to get my workouts. I ordered a bowflex utimate II. It went well with that for a little while, and I attended my jazzercise every chance I got even if I was a few minutes late at times. I knew that even though I had the bowflex, strength training was not enough. Thats when I discoverd fit tv. I saw one of your step workouts, and even though it was way too complicated for me the first time and I did not have a step, I went to Academy and purchased a step that came with the beginner DVD. I was in love with step aerobics now and even though I still attended my jazzercise class whenever, I still did my step aerobics too three days a week. Sadly last December, our jazzercise classes ended. There just was not enough people going anymore. I was not too worried being as I had already found step aerobics. I just had to try to put together a good regime for myself now and was on my own. Its been going great. I decided to do step on Mondays, Bowflex on Tuesday, on Wednesdays I would some of both to total 1 hour, Thursday I did step again, and Fridays were bowflex again. this gave me 5 days per week at about anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour workouts. Now, lately, I find myself feeling completly drained when it comes to doing step. I find it hard to get through the warm up sometimes. I consider myself to be fit now after going on 3 three years of working out. I am 5'5" and weigh 135 and am a size 4. I feel like a really overweight, sluggish person trying do my step aerobics for the past few weeks. I have started taking one a day vitamins for the second day now. I hope this helps give me some energy. I don't seem to have a problem with my bowflex workouts, just the step. I figure it may be my regime. I am looking for any advice on a better regime to try. I kind of think that maybe I am doing too much? I thought about taking Wednesdays off, but it bothers me that I would only be getting 2 days per week of cardio and strenth. I have this rule in my head that tells me that I have to have 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength. I am just kind of confused and unsure what will work. I am also scared to change right now because I don't want to gain weight. Maybe it could be I'm feeling like this for the cardio because I may be missing my class environment? It is harder to do on my own even though I never let myself miss a workout. I always put it first no matter what I have to do for the day. I will wake up earlier to give me time to do my workout if I have to. Anything to get it in befor I leave for the day. It always ccomes first. Please give me advice on something to try so that I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to get through the simplest step routines. It just really wears me down and its all I can do to make it through. Thanks. Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not Cathe, but I do have a few suggestions. First, it might be a good idea to try other forms of cardio so that you don't get bored. Maybe alternating step with somethinkg like a kickboxing workout will make you feel as though you are doing something new and exciting, giving you an extra little drive to get through your cardio sessions. It is always good to mix things up just enough to keep your workouts feeling fresh and exciting. The cardio rowing option on your bowflex may be a good option for days when you don't feel like doing too much jumping, or when you just need a lighter workout (believe me, all of us have these days). In regards to low energy levels, the multi-vitamins sound like a good idea. Also, make sure that you are getting enough sleep and that you are eating a balanced diet without too much refined sugar. I find that if I eat too much sugar I end up feeling really sluggish and drained for the rest of the day. Remember, it is ok to day a day off sometimes, and it might even help you perform better on following workouts. Hope this helps!!!

Take care,

Ady

Also not Cathe ... but welcome to the boards! How's your diet? Are you eating enough to fuel your workouts? Do you get enough iron? Just a few more things to think about. Best wishes, Deb

Hi Ady,
I do have other workout DVD's. I just don't like them as much as I once did now that I have started doing step-aerobics. I have jazzercise, Gilad, Billy Banks, etc...As far as rowing on the bowflex, that is the most boring, miserable thing I have ever done. I can't imaging anyone liking it. I would rather go outside and run in this hot and humid Louisiana summer heat. Well, its not so bad now, but it will be very soon. I'm hoping that the vitamins will help. I guess I was really looking for a "prescribed" regime to try. I guess I need to find a personal trainer for that though. I do admit, I like any kind of sour candies. I got hooked on those a couple of years ago when I quit smoking. Anything like Mike and Ike's fruit chews is my weakness. Deb asked whether I eat enough to fuel my workout. I think I do. Every morning before my workouts I do have my breakfast which is usually some sort of rainsin bran cereal and skim milk. I think I will go on and try to take off on Wednesdays from now on and see if that helps. And, maybe I will not worry about getting in the three days of cardio. Maybe the two days will be enough. I will continue the 3 days of bowflex thoough. I've been hearing alot about strength training being more important than cardio because it builds muscle and bigger muscles make our metabolism higher. Thanks for the replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.