working out the gluteus maximus?

warchild2005

Cathlete
The hardest thing I have to work on is my glutes, I do Squats every night for about 20 min. and I also do step and I'm seeing results but extremely slow results, how could make the results come faster?

I'm not Cathe, but would like to suggest doing leg presses. Thats where you hold onto a weight, say a 15 lbs. dumbbell and using the High Step, put one foot on it and keep pulling yourself up and down with the same leg. When I use my high step with 6 risers and the topper I really feel it in my glutes. I did Pyramid Lower Body on Saturday and my glutes and hamstrings are STILL sore! I usually can't get that area to be sore but after I started using my new High Step, I've noticed a huge difference. I use to do them on my Fanny Lifter and never felt a thing, but now that I have the high step I feel a tremendous difference.

Hope this helps!
Debbie in OH

Hello, Luis! In addition to traditional squats, also perform plie squats with your legs placed somewhat wider than shoulder width and your knees and toes in turnout, AND don't forget about lunges with both legs on the floor!

Also, you may want to check out some of Cathe's workouts that have rear leg extension drills as you are standing on one leg. These really help the glutes.

Above all - be patient. Muscle mass development cannot and should not be hurried. And you don't want to overdo strength and mass development in one muscle group, because that can create a muscle strength imbalance in that group's opposing muscle group, which can lead to proneness to injuries.

A-Jock

You could also try lunges--my rear end is flat as a pancake & in my neverending quest to add a little shape I do a combo of squats, lunges & presses (presses on a leg press, not high step) once a week.

For me, squats, step-ups, and specific floor work for the glutes ("donkey kicks" etc.) are what works best.

I was thinking along the floor, too. Table work and bridge work kills my glutes every time. Especially for bridge work, having a couple of 12 pound dumbbells in my lap makes it challenging.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.