Will there be WO Blenders in the new workouts?

gym_mom

Cathlete
I realize that a lot of the details are already worked out, but I love the workout blenders. Will you have this option availble on the new DVD's?

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

The Workout Blender is something we’re considering, but still have a lot of concerns about. Here’s why:

#1 DVD standards only allow for 6 variables that can be used in a workout blender. This means we can only have 6 exercises that we can use per disc as possible selections. On a pure step tape, 6 selections is just barely enough to get the job done. But on a DVD like Body Max 2 we really need around 20 selections or more to make it worthwhile.

#2 A workout blender will not work on every player. We guess from our experience that 3% to 5% of players will have either a small or major problem when trying to play the workout blender.

#3 Finally, we know from our customer service records that a lot of customers do not understand how to use the workout blender. Perhaps we can improve the user interface, but I imagine this would still be a problem for many.

However, we’re interested in feedback from our customers that like or dislike this feature. Though we have no way of knowing for sure, our gut feeling is that not a lot of you are actually using the workout blender. At least we don’t hear much about the workout blender on our forums and this leads us to believe that it isn’t that popular. That said, we would still like to hear everyone’s opinion on this.

Well, here's my 2 cents.

While, the blender seems like a really cool idea, in reality it loses a lot. I rarely use it. As you mentioned, the limited selections are not enough. I would prefer to have more premixes. I especially love the ones that combine more than one workout, ie step blast and SJP. I'm not sure if this is possible for you this time. Isn't each routine on it's own DVD? Is it possible to have a DVD just for premixes? Thanks for everything.

Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

I am not a big fan of the Workout Blender mostly because of the 6 segment limitation. Between that and the 3-5% incompatibility rate, I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. It's a super cool idea, but the technology just isn't there yet to support it properly.

On the rare occasion that a premix won't meet my needs, I will sit down and map out the chapter points on the DVD and use my DVD player's program feature to roll my own premixes. I used to do that a LOT with the Basic Step/Cardio & Weights DVD that came with my club step. Since I got IMAX2/Cardio & Weights, I haven't seen a need to make my own premixes any more. I haven't ventured beyond the included premixes on any of my other Cathe DVDs, either.

FWIW, I LOVE the "here's what you'll need next" bumps between segments, especially on weighted workouts. That gives me just enough time to shuffle equipment without having to rewind.

Workout Blender and Premixes

Chris:

I played with this feature just to test it. It was easy to figure out. The user interface is fine in my opinion. My player can handle it. That being said, I never use it. The workouts are great “as is.” The premixes are stellar and cover all the bases. I would much rather play the program or choose a premix and get on with my workout. If I want to take the time to mix it up myself, I would more likely program my DVD player and not be limited to 6 choices. I agree that this feature is better in theory than in reality.

The premixes are priceless. I really like the insert cards that tell me what equipment I need next. I hope you will include these in the premixes for these new workouts. The premixes are much more enjoyable and useful that way!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

I never did use this feature, it did not work on my DVD in my workout room. I only care about GOOD, QUALITY premixes. Leave the blender behing. JMHO

Personally I would rather have excellent premixes (ala Intensity series) to chose from than using the Workout Blender.

I would really like it, if during Post-Production time, you guys would ask us specifically which premixes we would enjoy using. I think if you can cover the majority of the obvious ones that people are really hoping for, then having the blender's not that big of deal. JMO,

Heather

Personally I would rather have excellent premixes (ala Intensity series) to chose from than using the Workout Blender.

I would really like it, if during Post-Production time, you guys would ask us specifically which premixes we would enjoy using. I think if you can cover the majority of the obvious ones that people are really hoping for, then having the blender's not that big of deal. JMO,

Heather

I don't use the workout blender either. I think premixes are enough. I definitely DON'T think we need BOTH premixes and workout blender :)

I don't use the workout blender either. I think premixes are enough. I definitely DON'T think we need BOTH premixes and workout blender :)

As I am relatively new to Cathe and am still in the process of expanding my library, the only DVD that I have with the Workout Blender (that I can think of) is the Body Blast Timesaver. I have yet to figure out how to use it exactly, but I have noticed that I am not able to move from one workout to another and create the workout that I want.
Personally, I would prefer premixes and use them often.

Thanks!!!

I agree with Heather that the blender is easy to use. I also agree with everyone else who has posted that it isn't really worth it if you can only mix 6 segments.

If you were still putting two workouts on one DVD, and people could blend as many chapter points together from BOTH workouts as they wanted, then the blender would be amazing. The way it works now--eh.

Have to put another word in here for well-chaptered, well-thought-out premixes. Love those insert cards that prepare you for the next segment (although not in cardio premixes). Also, the chapter points from Intensity Series & Body Blast Series were well-placed in comparison to Hardcore.

Thanks,
Wendy

>Personally I would rather have excellent premixes (ala
>Intensity series) to chose from than using the Workout
>Blender.

I agree

I just got the Intensity series about a week ago and I love the way the premixes are done! I can't think of a single thing I would change. I don't have the Hardcore or Body Blast series (yet;) ) so I can't speak to the quality of their premixes. I've never tried a DVD with a Workout Blender, but if it limited our options I don't think I would like it.

I just want to say that of all the workout DVD's I've used over the years, yours are BY FAR the BEST I've ever had. The instruction and cueing is is precise, the sound is great, the premixes are phenomenal. I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into the production of your DVD's and I think they're a steal at your prices.

I'm another who rarely used the blenders, prefer to map out my DVD player instead. I like pre-mixes better because than I feel someone has thought out a routine for me, that may be shorter, or longer than the original.

I agree. With only six options, a workout blender doesn't seem worth the time/effort/disc space/money to me. Never use it on the other Cathe DVDs I have, and I have almost all of them. I definitely want to echo everyone else's sentiments that having several high quality premixes is muuuuuuuuuuuch preferable.

Premixes, premixes, premixes!

I think the blender is a nice idea but I never use it. I love premixes, though - both shorter and longer premixes, less intense and more - and hope you spend your time on those instead of the blender feature.

One other request: I have a 5-DVD player so I often use the chaptering feature to mish-mosh several workouts. It would be awesome if you could take care with the chapter break points to make sure they are in the logical spots. The last series had some issues with this feature, so it's more difficult to use in other ways than Body Blast or Intensity. I think these can also be titled when you program your master DVD, I'm not sure about that, but if you could do that as well, that would be great.

Thanks!
Marie

Another vote for premixes. I've never used the blenders ( I have all of Cathe's DVDs), but I sure use the premixes. Thanks for letting us voice our opinions. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.