Why do some women in fitness competitions weigh more and some weigh less?

dawnmh22

Cathlete
I notice why do some women when they train for fitness competitions are 5"4 110-115, and Monica Brant 5"5 135,some women weigh more and some women weigh less? Is it there body type and frame size? I thought muscle weighs more but when I see some of the women in the magazines when they are training there weight goes down and when its there off season there weight goes up. TY!!!Dawn

Last edited:
Not that I am answering your question but I have seen Monica Brant in person and I was actually very surprised that she had such a small frame. My guess is that women that compete have a variable amount of muscle some higher and some lower. Some people can look good and compete at a higher body fat than another can (this is what was said in a Oxygen article that I remember reading) I don't know if it is true. I also asked Monica how many calories she maintains on when she is not competing and I was disappointed when she told me 1600. I would have thought that this would be a higher amount, I guess that I will never look like Monica Brant (ha ha) because I need much more than that.

so since monica is 5'5" 135 does this mean she has a higher percentage bodyfat or lower then someone 5'5 120. Im sorry I think I understand but I dont

Hard to tell. Muscle weighs more than fat tissue. The two fitness competitors can have similar body fat percentages but Monica may simply be carrying more muscle.

Clare

She may also have denser bones (heavier than less dense bones). Or a higher blood volume. There are lots of things that go into body weight.

I have read where Monica Brant has more muscle that other competitors. I've heard that judges have told her to have less muscle and she would score higher.

Farrah

Are you really asking about women in fitness competitions having different weights?? Women in fitness competitions are just like women not in fitness competitions; we are all doing our best with what we've got.

Meso,Ecto,Endo?

I guess it really doesnt matter if they are in competitions. Just wondering why some women gain pounds from working out and weigh more(monica) vs. women that workout and dont gain nothing but actually lose or stay the same. cause I thought muscle weighs more then fat. This must be becuase of there body type Meso,ect,endo?

Yes, all the above are true.. different heights, bone densitites, body types (ectomorphs etc) etc..
Also, there are different competitions.. some like softer lines and others require more muscle.. when they're down to single digit bf and all tanned up they make look similar to non-comtetitors, but different federations require more/less muscle mass.
Not a biggie, but it could make a difference in a few pounds of muscle :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.