Where do I begin?

kaybell

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but, where do I start? I'm a 40 year old mother of two small children (ages 1 and 3). I'm in the worst shape of my life, tho not the heaviest. I need to lose at least 20 lbs just to look decent, more to be truly fit. I have very little time for me(looks like the hour just before the kids and my husband wake up I can use for me!) I'm totally new to Cathe videos. I've used the Firm in the past, and been an on and off again runner/aerobiciser. I hear that Cathe videos are really tough, even for Firm users. Should I start somewhere else right now? And my diet is a mess. I'm a stay at home mom, and yes, I clean up my kids leftovers!!! As I've said before, things are at their worst right now, when it comes to my health, and I really, really, REALLY want to make changes. I've been reading some messages out here, and see lots of threads about rotations. But I feel like I'm coming in in the middle of the play, so to speak. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, referrals?

Just A Suggestion...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-01 AT 09:59PM (Est)[/font][p](One of Cathe's best loved lines...:))
You can do (some of) Cathe: start with the Wedding Video--and do only what you can. I would supplement this with some Charlene Prickett: anything of Charlene's is fine: they are intermediate.

One of our regular posters: Honeybunch, has a great way of handling diet. She eats whatever dessert she wants Once A Week. (That way you know it's coming; you're working towards it; and you're not totally deprived.) I, myself, am a sweet-a-holic. I do not try to avoid that because then I binge. My tactic is similar: I just say "later"; I never say NO. :7 Good Luck: keep trying!! Murph

Hi Kaybell,

I too am a stay at home mom and was in the same situation you are. So let me see if I can give you a few suggestions. I don't own any other videos besides Cathe so I can't give suggestions on those but www.videofitness.com would be a great place to go to get reviews and advice on intermediate videos.

That being said I pretty much started back with Cathe. But first I eased my way back into fitness by doing walking/jogging. Runners World online has great suggestions for starting back into that without overdoing and keeping yourself injury free. After several weeks of just walking/jogging I started with Cathe's Wedding Video and Mega Step Blast. Like Murph said just do as much as you can. For me it was sometimes only doing the first two sections. I also recommend starting on a "4 step. Both of those videos are great introductions to Cathe. In addition the wedding video has a nice strength workout you can start with to get yourself into strength training.

As far as diet/nutrition, if you go into the open discussion section and do searches or just read over the last few months threads you can find lots of great information. You can also ask questions specific to your situation and have lots of people who are willing to give advice. I think one of the best places to start is portion control and also drinking enough water. This means you either put your kids leftovers away or throw them out. Most people probably agree it's good to try to get a portion of protein and a portion of carbohydrates with each meal. Portions are usually the size of your palm or a clenched fist. Of course add in vegetables and those portions can be as big as you like. I have found alot of success with eating 5-6 smaller meals a day as opposed to 3 big meals. Try to eat as many whole foods as you can instead of processed foods. Whole foods are generally found around the edges of the grocery store instead of the middle isles (fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, beans etc). If you have specific issues you want help with as far as diet as away. There are so many well informed people on this site.

Good luck! I know it's not easy but feeling strong and healthy is well worth the effort. Post here and keep us informed of how you are doing. This is such a wonderful site for support. Of course these are just my suggestions Im not an expert so as Cathe says "take em or leave em". I hope they are helpful. If you want encouragement from someone in the same boat email me anytime too!

Alison :)

The wedding video it is then. Thanks Murph and Alison for your support. It's a good feeling to reach out and find people who've been there, and care enough to share their advice and experience.

I've been on the fit side of the fence, several times, but since getting pregnant with my second child (two years ago now!), it's been a losing battle. Turning 40 recently has just added to feeling pretty hopeless about being able to control my fitness destiny. I've been wanting to start walking in the mornings before my husband leaves for work and the kids wake up. I havent due to a nasty cold/cough. I know this makes sense to wait til I'm better, but there always seems to be some excuse. And I know better than to eat my kids leftovers, but I cant seem to stop!!! What with my metabolism slowing and not exercising, and eating little bits of too much food here and there and here and there, well, it's adding up, and slowly but surely I'm finding that even my 'big' clothes are not so big anymore. Some say I should not be so hard on myself, and that maybe this isnt a good time to lose weight and get in shape, and that doing so is just causing me more stress. Well, that'd be fine if I could accept where I am, but I cant. I feel lousy and it's just causing me more stress. And I'll be darned if I'm going to buy bigger clothes!! So, I have to keep trying. But, it's time to try something different. So, my plan is: order the video, start walking tomorrow morning if I continue to feel better, drink more water starting today, swear off leftovers, and promise to log in here hopefully daily. I actually eat pretty healthfully, (just too much!) but could always stand some improvement. It's hard to find the time to browse the site, but perhaps I'll use the search function to target topics.

Thanks again, and I wish you both luck in your own fitness quests!

Hi, Kay!

It sounds like you have all the ingredients to make the changes you need to make. I am fond of saying that "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Three days a week I rise before my sleeping hubby and children and head out for a run. On those days I also strength train. I'll add on 2-3 more cardio activities depending on how things go. I try to work at a minimum of 5 days a week.

As for diet, DO NOT clean up you kids leftovers. Scrape them into the garbage and don't feel guilty about it. No one wins if you gain weight and there are health ramifications also. You might also try putting less on their plates. I used to pile food on my kid's plates like they were lumberjacks or something!

I have been using a site called Fit Day. http://www.fitday.com
It's user friendly and it tracks your intakes and outputs. I was amazed to see that my calorie intake was higher than I thought. I keep my diet clean all week and cheat a little on Friday( 2 pieces of dark chocolate) and a little more on Saturday(ice cream). Today it's back to eating clean for the week.

You can do this. It takes time to put on weight, take time to take it off. Also, as a busy mom you'll appreciate the increased energy and confidence exercise gives. I'll bet you spend most of your time takeing care of someone else. Make exercise and diet a priority for you because your family needs you but I am sure they want your to be happy. They may not realize that. Kids can be selfish little buggers!

My exercise time is a part of my daily schedule. It's as important as my breakfast time, more important than my cleaning time and I love how it makes me feel.

You can do this! You go, girl, and we will support you every step of the way!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif obbi

Bobbi-
I cant wait to get where you are. I imagine it all the time. I think I want the control back more than the lost weight. It helps to hear you all talk about the specifics of your days, how and what you eat, why you do or dont eat something, and mostly, how it makes you feel. You all sound so confident, and that's probably more important to me now than anything.

You're right about living for somebody else. It's time I do what I really need for me, rather than 'treating' myself with extra tidbits of unnecessary food.

Today went ok. We had lunch at my mom's and dinner at my mother in laws. Could have been worse, could have been better.

My husband and I are both sick and tired of being sick and tired. We both have about 20lbs to take off, just for starters. Tomorrow morning we're getting up early to walk (me), run(him). I really hope this is the beginning of a new age for us both. I'm hitting the sack soon as I log off, and I'll be rehearsing my menu for tomorrow, as well as picturing me dumping leftover grilled cheese and toast into the garbage disposal!

I've looked at Fitday in the past, but obviously never really used it. I like the 'accounting' part of watching what I eat, so I should really like using the site. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks again! I hope I'm in your shoes some day and can help another frustrated wannabe-fit person.

Kay,

I think once the desire is there, it just takes working out the particulars. You need a plan, including short and long term goals. You are already thinking in terms of how to deal with things like eating with your family and obstacles you'll meet.

Get out a pencil and a piece of paper and write down what you want and how you are going to do it. I think it's great if you and your husband do it together! If he doesn't want to now or you can't do it together, that's no reason for you to not proceed with your plans. As your diet changes, theirs will too and that's something good you do for them so it's a bonus.

This website is a terrific source of information and support. I look forward to "watching" your metamorphasis!

Bobbi

Be encouraged

In my experience and from what has worked for me, you will generally need to prioritise either weight loss or strength training, especially if time is short. In the beginning, I found that a cardio intensive intervals regime of up to 45 mins with about 15 mins of strength work 5 times a week did wonders when I wanted to lose a few pounds. I have an elliptical trainer but an old exercise bike or basic stair climber would do - in London (where I live), there's a shop called Argos where you can get a basic stair climber for under £30 and I'm sure you can find the same in the US. By intervals I mean warm up for 2-5 mins, then alternate 1 min bursts of recovery intervals with high intensity intervals. Work up to a maximum of 45 mins of intervals but I saw amazing results with just 20 mins of intervals daily when I was pushed for time. The body thinks it has an oxygen debt with interval training and it's the most productive form of cardio out there. Before the cardio I would domeither 8 min arms and abs with Jaime Brenkus or 8 min buns/thighs (available from Amazon) - a total of about 15 mins of strength training per day. Time was very short for me in the begining yet I found that this regime 5 times a week melted away my hips and toned and defned my legs beyond belief.

To put this in context, I come from an African family of large-hipped women and am genetically pre-disposed to gaining in my butt and hips (tummy and upper half has never been a problem). This exercise regime coupled with a 5pm carb curfew melted away the fat and was time-efficient. I eat sensibly but practice portion control, never have carbs after 5 and eat only salads if very late at night eg 8/9. This regime has worked for me and many many others who have tried it are singing it's praises.

Once I'd lost weight, I reduced my cardio to 3 days a week then did Cathe's Power Hour the other 2 days. If I could do an extra day, I'd slot in a lower body workout - eg SH Legs (skipping the shoulders section).

The key is to be realistic, to start with basics and build up. I think you would find Cathe's tapes too much of a challenge right now but in a couple of months or so, try them - she's an awesome instructor !

Maintaining health and fitness with kids

Caroline Knorr

A lot of people have offered so much good advice, but I wanted to share a few tips from my own experience of being a stay-at-home, working-from-home mom. I realize that with two small children working fitness into your day probably feels impossible at times. Is it possible for you to exercise during their nap times? That's what I do. I really count on my son's nap for my exercise time. Also, can you get a jogging stroller? I've seen jogging strollers that carry two kids. Sometimes, I'll take my son for a 30-minute run in a park, and then go to the park's playground, so we each get our own activity. Can you buddy up with a neighbor to trade off watching each other's kids for even 30 minutes, so you can exercise? On weekends, my husband and I trade off watching our son, so the other one can exercise. We give each other an hour. Even if you and your husband only did this on weekends, you'd still be getting two days of exercise per week, one for cardio, one for strength. And, if you were able to get up early on one or two other days, you've got a real fitness plan there. Just aim for something short and sweet in the beginning - 20 minutes. Or, just break up a 30-minute routine into 10 minute increments. This solution works really well especially for weights. Do biceps in the morning, triceps in the afternoon one day, chest in the morning, back in the afternoon the next day. Don't feel bad about taking the time for yourself. And if you have to hire a babysitter so you can work out, so be it. Or, get a babysitter in the evening so you and your husband can exercise together. Personally, when I feel better about myself, I feel I can handle parenting better! Good luck!!

Would it be possible for you to join a Y or other gym that provides babysitting?

Or, I like the "walk with a neighbor" suggestions....it gives you an incentive to get out the door.

Yes, I heartily endorse the idea of being "good" with your diet only 6 days a week, and does the "Body for Life" guy! You have to make room for your goodies!

I remember being just where you are right now. Two small kids at home. Just enough energy to get our of bed in the morning, make a cup of coffee and play with the kids. I don't remember the exact moment I said enough is enough but it happened and I even through I have stumbled a few times, I kept on going.

I laughed when I read about the leftover's. When my kids got a little older, around 6, I had them dump a little bit of ketchup or salt or sugar on their leftovers. Believe you me mashed potatoes with sugar on top are not very appetizing!

I also remember getting my first step and workout tape. I started with Jane Fonda. My kids used to make it a game by running around the step as I stepped. After time my kids thought every mother did this strange dance every morning and were very surprized to learn that they didn't!

I wish you all the encouragement in the world. One small step at a time. One bad habit changed, one good habit in its place.
Keep your sense of humor and try and incorporate you children in your routine. Sometimes a romp in the park is as good for your body and it is for your soul.

Thanks, to all of you, for the great ideas, and support. It really helps to know you're not alone out there, doesnt it?

You'll be happy to know, the walking has started in the morning. It's a great way to start the day, and really motivates me to eat clean the rest of the day.

I'm doing pretty well with leftovers. Just look in my fridge, and you'll see about 6 different little containers filled with various things... Oh, and my garbage disposal is eating well these days! I've always had trouble pouring ketchup or sugar on food so that I wouldnt eat it, cause it seems like such a waste. But, better that, I suppose, than going to MY waist! Plus, if I give them smaller amounts, there wont be so much to save/toss/tempt! Also, sometimes I think I make grilled cheese sandwiches and toast and things for them, hoping that they wont finish, so I can eat them. tsk tsk tsk!

You worded it well when you said we should look at it as one good habit gained, one bad habit lost, and be thankful for those small steps.

My youngest (16 month old girl) is going thru a hair pulling and biting phase, so the double jog stroller/bike trailer is taking a break for a bit. We're all looking forward to her growing out of this stage.

I havent had much luck exercising to a tape while the kids are underfoot, but, I think I'm about due to try that one again. Perhaps I can make a game out of it, or set up something special for them to do at the same time. Plus, and this is probably a bigger problem, I wrestle with what to do when I DO get a break during the youngest ones naps: clean, organize, play with my 3 year old son, get some project done, laundry, dishes, sew, come to the Cathe forum.... My husband would love to see me get into exercise, cuz he knows I'm miserable this way, and he also knows that when Mom's happy, everyone else is happy. But... he's less than thrilled when the house is a mess, as am I, and wonder's why I cant do it all!!!

I think my best bet is to aim for workouts in the morning, before my husband leaves for work. I can alternate cardio with weight tapes. If one day, the morning doesnt work out, I'll see if I cant fall back on the babysitter idea.

Hanging in there, more so than ever with all your great ideas, K.

Way to go, Kay! With a 16 month-old and a three year-old, your plate is very full! (Pun intended) Remember too, it gets easier as they get older and they get older so quickly! My "baby" boy is 4 and will be starting school soon! Oh, how I fantisize about free time! You are on track. Keep up the good work and the great attitude! That's half the battle!

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.