What are squat thrusts/climbers and walking lunges?

feebee

Cathlete
Please help me get these moves right, don't want to do it wrong and injure myself. Can anyone please explain proper form for these three moves, squat thrusts, squat thrust climbers and walking lunges? Or if they are in a certain Cathe workout on DVD, I could just check it out from there. Thanks, Colleen

Squat thrusts are in the chest section of PH in a modified version.
To do then: from a standing position, squat down low to touch the floor (you're now in somewhat of a "frog jump" position), jump back until you are in a plank position, jump back to "frog" position, then stand up.

Squat thrust climbers are in Boot Camp.
They are the same as squat thrusts, but add a vertical jump after you stand up.

Walking lunges are just doing alternating front lunges without returning to the starting position after each one. Just keep on walking forward! If you don't have the room for all 200 or whatever (by walking around a track or around your house), you can do as many as you can in one direction (down a hallway, for example), then turn and go back. Or don't turn and do reverse lunges (that's MY special tweek). If your space is even more limited, you might end up doing only 2 or 4 lunges forward before reversing. Just make sure that if the number of lunges is uneven (3 forward, for example), you turn and start with the other leg on the way back to keep things even.

Colleen, thanks for asking and, Kathryn, thanks for explaining! I knew about the squat thrust climbers from BC and the squat thrusts from PH. But the walking lunges had me wondering, though I thought they were as Kathryn described. Now I know for sure...

Kathryn, I'll have to give your "special tweak" a try. We have a nice long hallway in our house:)

Kathryn, Thank you so much for the reply. This helps so much. I like your idea also of tweeking it. Great idea! Thanks! Colleen

Thanks :) I was wondering how to do the squat thrust climbers because I don't have BootCamp. I thought that I'd better say thanks now because I might not be so grateful after doing them in the rotation.

Dawn

Squat Thrust Climbers Correction

Hi All! I just wanted to point out a correction on Kathryn's post which describes the Squat Thrust Climbers from Boot Camp (you were close though Kathryn:))

It is an 8 count move to do a squat thrust climber.

Squat down to touch the floor with hands in front of your feet (count 1)

Jump both feet out (into a straight arm push up position)(count 2)

Scissor your feet pulling your right knee in toward your chest(count 3), then jump switch your feet and pull your left foot into your chest (count 4)

Now jump both feet back out (resuming your straight arm push up position) (count 5)

Jump both feet in (so you are in the same position you were in on count 1) (count 6)

Now do a vertical power leap straight up into the air with arms shooting straight overhead and then land with soft knees bringing arms down at sides (count 7 and 8)

Have Fun!

RE: Squat Thrust Climbers Correction

LOL how do you come UP with this stuff?? The written description is perfect- it reminds me just how difficult they feel to do!!

Thanks Cathe.

Cathe, thanks for the clarification, glad I asked. So glad you could resond, great to have you back! Colleen

so does that meen that 100 burpees(squat thrusts) is the same as squat thrust climbers? r toe touches like u do in kpc and km-touching toes while also working inner thigh?

laura

Hi Laura! The toe touches are like the ones we have in the Boot Camp warm up. Burpees (squat thrusts) are NOT the same as squat thrust climbers. Burpees/Squat thrusts eliminate the climbers part of the movement, plus you do not jump in the air at the end of the movement.

A burpee/squat thrust is a four count move as follows:

Starting position: standing with arms at your sides

Count one....Squat down to floor with hands in front of toes (like a frog)

Count two...Jump feet out (to look like a push up position)

Count three...Jump feet back in (back to the frog position)

Count four...Stand back up to your starting position

Have fun and don't forget to burp when you are done:7

>Have fun and don't forget to burp when you are done:7

I believe if you do these after having a lunch of beans and cabbage, gaseous explosions of another sort may occur!}(

>>>>>I believe if you do these after having a lunch of beans and cabbage, gaseous explosions of another sort may occur!}( >>>>>>

Yet, another advantage to being a home exerciser:)

L O L (as I burp)

Man, I love this forum! Thanks Cathe and everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.