what is the difference b/w total body, circuit, and interval

Hi Cathe or anyone else that can help with this,

I am trying to put together rotations and I am wondering if you could give a quick explanation to the actual difference between Total Body, Circuit, and Interval workouts. Also, I am trying to lose a few pounds of body fat and lean out before focusing on muscle building rotations. Looking to see if Cathe or anyone else could give me a breakdown of how much to do each week for losing weight and still retaining muscle definition. For example: straight cardio 2 or 3 times a week, with 1 circuit, or 1 total body and then upper and lower body seperate? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sweetsilver

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Total Body usually means a total body weight workout like Muscle Max, Maximum Int. Strength, Power Hour, Premixes off others that are total body, etc. Circuits are those workouts that do strength and cardio in quick cycles like Bootcamp, Cardio and Weights, Drill Max, etc. Intervals are those cardio workouts that are both aerobic and anaerobic - segments of each like the Imaxes. I use a heart rate monitor and love that.

For rotations, check out the excellent Rotation Forum that Cathe has.

Hope this helps!

A general breakdown?

Thanks Tygra,
That helps confirm in my head what I was thinking. I have all Cathe's DVD's but have not viewed them and was not sure how Cathe's videos were.

I have viewed and printed a ton of rotations.....but I am wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for how to put a rotation together for losing fat and still gain muscle definition. In other words, how many circuits, total body, or intervals a week?

Help anyone...

Sweetsilver

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.