What Brand Barbell Is Used in Cathe's Workouts

Mama

Cathlete
I am looking to purchase a barbell. I saw a 55 lb. barbell set (Duracast) online; however, I'm concerned that the straight bar comes in two pieces. I'm new to this and I'm not certain what to look for. Also, what amount of barbell weights should I invest in for starters? Does anyone know what brand barbells Cathe uses? Thanks. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mama

Dear Fitness Jedi,

Thank you. I just checked out the site you mentioned and am considering a future purchase. I just ordered the Lo Max and Muscle Max DVDs and hope that I can handle the choreography. I haven't worked out in about four weeks -- I've been playing Nurse Rachett to my husband's broken ankle.

There are a few things that I've written down in my wish list -- I like to have the proper tools to do the "job" right. The fitness site you suggested had most of the things I would need in the near future. Thanks again.

Mama:)

Hi Mama!

I actually know the answer to this because I asked this same question before. Believe it or not it is the $20.00 bar bell set from Walmart. It is a 55 lbs set and great for the price. My Walmart did not carry it in stock (nor the other three that I checked in Reno, NV) so I had to order it from Walmart.com. I think the total cost to ship and purchase was about $50.00, much less expensive than some of the other types I was looking at. The bar also comes in two pieces, but that has been no problem. I really like the fact that the clip is pretty easy to use (even though I have to use both hands sometimes since my grip is really weak)

Good luck.

I wondered if that was the one!! I am excited now - that might be my next purchase :) I have a barbell for bicep curl that i have been using - the Olymic one from Scheels, but I hate the curve it has when I want a straight bar - its been a pretty good sub, but I want the straight one too!!!

Hi Mama:D (I LOVE posting that:7)
Just wanted to let you know that Cathe has used both the walmart barbell and the troy lite. I have the troy lite barbell and I also LOVE it!! I really like the fact that the wts. are rubber encassed. (not filled with sand) and compact. You also might want to buy a neck pad (makes it nice when you go heavy on leg work). Good luck!! Enjoy your new barbell!!

~Nicole

I purchased my barbell set (100 lbs) at Dick's for about $25. It has the vinyl covered plates (like the wal-mart set), and I also picked up a few extra standard size 2 1/2 and 5 lb plates to go with it (the 4lb barbell itself comes with 8s, 10s, and 20s).

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Troy Lite set online and I am very interested. It costs about $75 -- that price includes shipping and handling -- is that about the right price for this set?

Hi Cleo,

I checked out the barbells at Walmart.com and I only see a set by Danskin -- it comes with very light weight plates.

My local Wal-mart didn't have it, and that's why I looked at Dick's. I do know that you can order the Wal-mart one on their website (I think it's around $20 plus shipping), but I don't think it was the Danskin brand.

I know there's an earlier thread somewhere either in this forum or in the Open Discussion forum where someone has pasted the link to this specific barbell set.

Hi Mama:D
This is the barbell set I bought http://fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html, but instead of buying it as a set I ended up buying everything separate ie. I ended up buying 4-10lbs plates, 2-5lbs plates, and 2-2.5lbs plates. The reason I did this is because it is so much easier to calculate in my brain quickly how much wt I am using..... Using 5 and 10 pound plates versus 7.5 that is included in the set is easier to figure out ha ha . Also I ordered the neck pad and some spring collars. I think shipping cost around 25.00??? I have had this barbell for a few years and am really happy with it!! Good luck!!

~Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Thanks. I did a little research and I've decided to go with the Troy set (it is a little pricey with the shipping cost).

I'm looking forward to receiving the Lo Max and Muscle Max DVDs soon (my first Cathe DVD purchase). I hope that I can handle it. My level of fitness is intermediate/advanced.

I am somewhat behind with my workouts due to husband and kids at home. So I am now waking up at 5 a.m. to workout (before it was at 11 a.m.). It's not easy to do a step workout and have someone ask you for a snack or for a cup of espresso.

Thanks again. Have a good evening.

Thanks to all of you that provided the link to the Troy Lite set. I ordered on Monday and received them in 2 days! Wow! I can't wait to use them. I love the way they feel and switching out the weights will be much easier than with my current barbell set. :)

>I purchased my barbell set (100 lbs) at Dick's for about $25.
> It has the vinyl covered plates (like the wal-mart set), and
>I also picked up a few extra standard size 2 1/2 and 5 lb
>plates to go with it (the 4lb barbell itself comes with 8s,
>10s, and 20s).

Hi! I've seen this set at Dick's and have wanted to purchase it, but did not because it did not have the 2 1/2 and 5 lb plates. Where did you get these, at Dicks?? Are the 2 1/2 and 5 lb plates also vinly covered??
Hope you see this to respond.
Thanks in advance

I also ordered the Troy Lite set and received it last week. Have already completed several workouts with it and I can't say enough about it and wish I had ordered it sooner! And kudos to fitness 1st also, easy ordering and quick shipping! I had to laugh when the UPS man delivered the set....he told me to be careful, the package seemed a little heavy....ha ha :p

hi
i have a question about this bar. here in Israel they only bar sold has on both ends screw (i hope i write it right) and after u put the plates u don't lock it with clips but with another screw:eek:
i was told that clips r not safe so here in our very safe country they sell this kind.so my questions r:the bar only how much it has to weight
and calculating the bar's weight how much weight the plates have to be
how much weight cathe's uses

thank u

sharona:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.