What is the best way to heal a pulled tricep?

shanihib

Cathlete
At least that is what I think it is. It hurts from the inside back elbow and up in the middle of the shoulder and the tricep itself is very sore. In the last workout of STS, I could not get my tricep to work and only afterwards realized it was hurt... I guess I'd gotten used to ignoring the dull ache of soreness and started to ignore the burning sensation that developed instead! :eek:

Anyhow, I'm finding that even cardio seems to aggravate it (even when not raising my arms etc...). Mostly it hurts at night when I'm just laying in bed with a pillow propping me up (maybe it is the angle, or maybe it is just that the whole day is catching up with me.) I'm taking Advil for the pain and inflammation but would love it if I didn't have to completely rest... Maybe wishful thinking?

maybe inflamation? i saw a doc for burning below shoulder near the bicept.end up being shoulder inflamation.did u put ice on it?i think it started doing jari love chest flys with pulsing.

laura

I didn't do ice mostly because I'm rarely in a position to do it. I suppose I could do it right before bed... I basically laid off exercise for a few day and tried to limit upper body moves so that I didn't overuse it. It is helping. Not 100% yet, but much, much better. Oh, and lots of ibuprofen!

Did you already try the standard RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)?
I'd also recommend some gentle stretching. But see a doc if it doesn't get better soon (or if it seems to get worse).

you might want to see a chiropractor

A good one might be able to find out if it is in your neck as well as your arm. I used to have a pain like that after a car accident. The doctor told me it was tennis elbow and prescribed motrin which did not help at all btw. I went to see a chiropractor and it turned out that my neck was out of alignment which was causing all kinds of problems including numbness, weakness in one leg, and I was unable to play fiddle at all.

I hope you feel better soon.

I really have only done 2 of the 4 elements of RICE fully knowing I was slowing recovery but I can't seem to take the time to slow down and elevate and ice or for that matter compress (forgot about that one). I have been resting (kinda LOL) and taking ibuprofen (anti inflammatory like ice LOL). I know... I'd heal faster if I'd just do those things, but the pain is really situational and more like a nagging soreness that occasionally bursts out into real pain. Those bouts of pain are largely gone and the soreness much reduced, so it is getting better. I guess on the ice I kept thinking how am I going to ice a tricep, other than to lie down with an ice pack under my arm? And I'm going, going, going so that is hard to do. Ok, enough with the excuses! LOL

You could ice your tricep using an ice pack and first aid tape I bet.
Just a thought, thinking it would work.
Hope it feels 100% soon.
Vicki

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.