weights on waist: smart or foolish?

cinza

is there any reason i should not join up my ankle weights and wear them around my waist to do sqats and lunges?

that makes carrying an extra 10-15 pounds "seem" effortless.

cinza

Cinza,

I'm not Cathe or trained in any way to say this, but for myself I wouldn't do it. Especially for squats and lunges, in fact. In those moves you want to be very careful with your posture to protect your knees and your lower back, and I think the artificial added weight around the midsection would make it more difficult for you to maintain the right form. The advantage of having a barbell or dumbbells resting on your shoulders seems to me to be that the weight is evenly distributed and doesn't affect your ability to align your lower back and pelvis properly, pull in your abs, stand upright with proper knee alignment on lunges, etc.

Just two cents worth.

Kathy S.

Very well put Kathy! The ankle weights are not suited for that. In addition to being unsafe they would probably bounce all over the place the second you moved and drive you crazy. If you don't mind spending the money, a weighted vest is a terrific investment. I bought one and love it. It is especially good for moves like those on Circuit Max--like squats with shoulder work. You get extra weight for the legs which can take it while still being able to use light weights for the shoulders. I also use it in FIRM videos as well during plyometric drills and some of the slower four-limbed aerobic moves. I bought mine from Reebok. I order somewhat differently because I am a fitness professional. Try reebok.com. If you would like to order it and have problems, let me know. I can call them directly and relay the info to you. Good luck!

to cyndie... weights on waist: smart or foolish?

cyndie
i had heard of weighted vest... but only once. that probably is a very good idea.
with that in mind i drape my ankel weights over my shoulder

(you'd think i was lazy!! wouldnt you with how i try hard to not hold anything... but really i am just trying to work harder...and i was hoping smarter)

thank you very much!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.