weights to start with

bethellen

Question for Cathe or any of you knowledgeable Cathe fans:
I've been using the Firm videos for a couple years. I have read quite a bit that I should increase my weights over time. However, I am still using my original set of 3, 5, & 8 pounds. I occasionally use my 10#'s.
I just preordered the new Cathe dvd's. The only Cathe workouts I've done are cardio. Would I continue to use my 3, 5, & 8 # weights with my Cathe weight workouts; and gradually increase the poundage over time if I desire? Are they structured where Cathe tells me to use light, medium, or heavy with each exercise?
Thanks.

Hi bethellen. Welcome to the forums. I would start out with your 3s, 5s and 8s and see how hard or easy it is for you. Then you can increase it if you like. Cathe usually tells you what weight she's using. In general, you would use less weight for muscle endurance workouts (like Power Hour or Muscle Endurance) and heavier weights for muscle building workouts (like Slow & Heavy or Gym Styles). Cathe usually tells you if she's using light, medium or heavy weight.

Marcy

You may still use your 3-, 5- and 8-pound weights in most Cathe workouts, but I'd suggest getting heavier weights for back and chest at least.

You should strive to lift a weight that makes it difficult to do the last 2-3 reps of a set with good form.

In most workouts, Cathe will mention the weight she uses, which should only be used as a guideline (once you've worked out with her for a while, you'll be able to better judge what YOU can lift based on what she's lifting).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.