WEIGHTS

Janie555

I have been doing some weight training for awhile but is not seeing results. I also do some form of cardio. What I would like to know how long after you start weight training should you start to see some results. It is kind of frustrating not to see any.

Thank you.

yeh, you may want to add some details to your post if you want anyone to answer.

what do you eat?
what precisely does your workout regimen consist of?
what is "some form" cardio?

how tall are you? how old are you? how much do you weigh?

Other info that would help us help you would be:

Exactly how long have you been incorporating weight training into your regimen?

What results are you hoping to see? (Weight loss, increased muscle tone, muscle size increase, etc?)

As a general rule, if you are looking to reduce your overall body fat, the most important thing is having a clean diet. You can lift weights and do cardio till the cows come home - if you're not eating cleanly, the body fat will not budge. So it is important for you to tell us what you typically eat, and what your weekly fitness regimen looks like. Then we'll be able to help you better. :)

I would like to know what you mean by "some" weight training? Are you lifting light weights every now and again, or are you doing heavy weights 2 to 3 times a week faithfully?

I have 20 pounds to lose, and I noticed definition, even on me, within 3 weeks after I started lifting. But I started off lifting 2 times a week - as heavy as I can go safely, and making sure I hit every muscle group. If you're not seeing even a hint of definition anywhere, you might want to revisit your routine and your diet, as others have mentioned.

I'd also like to know what you mean by "some" and "for awhile."

Some reasons you may not be seeing results as quickly as you'd like:
Working out too infrequently (2 times a week is the minimum when doing a full-body workout. Then as you continue, go to 3 days a week, then to split routines, etc.)
Using weights that are too light (are the last few reps of your sets tough to do? That's what you should aim for).
When one starts working with weights, some of the strength changes you attain are not visible, as they have to do with neuromuscular connections (basically, the brain sends messages to the muscles more efficiently, and some muscle fibers that were previously not as active become more active). This precedes the stage where you will begin to see growth.

Kathryn,

Are you a personal trainer? You seem so knowledgeable! I am 46 years old and have been working with weights for about six months about twice a week. I work the whole body for 1 1/2 hours and am totally exhausted when I am done. I discovered Cathe's workouts on FitTV recently and have noticed a really big difference in my posture and the shoulders and chest have developed, but I want to the know the secret to better definition (especially in the triceps and biceps area). Do I need to increase my workouts and if so, would working different body parts on different days be better than working the whole body in one day?

I am new to this forum but have researched different topics looking for diet tips, too, not necessarily to lose weight (I'm 5'4" and weigh 117 lb.") but for advice that will yield better health and result in better definition. To have Shonie's definition/build (from the Road Trip pics) would be a dream!

If you have any advice, feel free to dish!

Annette:D

Instead of 1/ 1/2 hours twice a week, exhausting yourself, I'd try 3 days a week, an hour (or less) each. Sometimes more isn't better. And hitting the weights more frequently, rather than longer, may give you the boost you need.

No, I'm not a personal trainer, but I read A LOT, and I've been working out, and studying about fitness on my own, since around 1980 (with some major gaps here and there). (I'd like to think that my PhD in French makes me able to do research and be an autodidact in other fields as well!).

Cathe,

I just figured out how to check if I had any replies to my emails. I was just thrilled to see I got a message back from you! Really thrilled!

Thanks for the thread to Shonie's reply. I thought maybe if I incorporated some of her training techniques, I could make some improvements in my fitness routine. I am going to try and slowly incorporate some of her suggestions.

I had read in another forum that you didn't like to discuss diet so I didn't want to impose, but I want you to know that if I could attain any body shape, it would be yours. Not only that, you must be one of the kindest, most disciplined people I have ever "met." You are so kind to have personally responded to my email, but your wonderful personality comes out in all your emails and pictures, too. Thanks again for sharing with all your fans and I hope to participate in a future road trip.

I also hope to purchase some of the DVD's soon as I got hooked on your FitTV show. I wish you only continued success!

Annette

Kathyrn,

Thanks so much for the fitness tips! I'll try this for a month and let you know how things go! I love this forum because I always learn so much!

Thanks again!

Annette

>I have been doing some weight training for awhile but is not
>seeing results. I also do some form of cardio. What I would
>like to know how long after you start weight training should
>you start to see some results. It is kind of frustrating not
>to see any.
>
>Thank you.

I have been exercising for about a year now, mostly doing cardio and recently started adding weights. I have not really changed my diet which I know is probably the problem. I cannot seem to stop eating sweets and I love bread. Three times a week I do an aerobic tape, or I will do a mile on the elipitical and a mile or two the exercise bike. About three months ago, I added strength training to my routine. At my job we have someone come in once a week and we do strength training with weights, leg weights and bands. Also we have another tape that do the same with weights and bands. The training seem to be going well, but it seems like my body is not responding like it should. I realize that I probably will have to change my way of eating but how do I stop eating. I am fifty if that helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.