Weightloss stalled after just a few weeks

muniav09

Hi, Cathe and everyone else. I am 47 and started working out again almost two months ago. I am now 4.5 weeks into XTrain/LIS rotation. I'm using the nutrition software and sticking pretty closely to the middle of the recommended calorie range, consistently. The first month I lost 7 pounds. Now I've gained a couple back! Isn't this too soon for a plateau? Any advice and/or encouragement would be appreciated! Thanks.

Steph

Hey muniav09....good for you for getting back into fitness! Keep in mind that when you workout you gain muscle mass and muscle weighs more than fat. So even though the scale has a different number, it might just be you getting stronger and gaining muscle in place of fat. Put on some clothes and see if they feel any different, look in the mirror and see for changes in muscle definition, are you gaining endurance, are you able to use a heavier weight? These little things can tell you that you're getting stronger. Try not to worry about a number on the scale and most of all...don't give up! Good luck

Hi Steph, my first thought is water weight and diet. It's very difficult for women to gain muscle in such a short period of time but any new exercise program can cause temporary water retention. As for diet, perhaps take a closer look at your intake, specifically the type of calories not just the number. Going by my personal experience, if I consume the same amount of calories but choose more salty or sweet foods, I am guaranteed to retain several pounds of water for a few days. Good luck with your fitness journey!

I'll work on the sugar and salt. My diet is generally healthy. Like I said, I'm using the software and watching the "report card" pretty closely. I do tend to eat a good portion of my calories after 7 p.m. because I work out after work, which is really all that works for me, so I'm working on shifting when I eat. I'm not sleeping well either, so I'm trying to figure that out. Having said all that, this weekend will be tough because we are throwing a fish fry for about 500 people (!) for my husband's 50th BD this weekend, with out of town company and the works. So I'll work it for the next two days, then start back up on Sunday!

Hi Steph - it may be of some comfort that the same happened to me! My weight went down then up and finally back down whilst doing XTrain. The same happened with STS Meso1. I just kept at it (no matter how disheartening it was), trusted Cathe, and everything worked out well in the end.
Best of luck, and have a great fish fry! (You never know - it may be the jolt your body needs???)
Justine

Justine, I'll take your experience to heart. The scale has gone up every day this week! Very alarming. I'm considering weighing only once or wince a week, but now I'm afraid I'll go a week and be up 5! It's not just water weight. Th fullness in my face and around my middle are back. Tightness in clothes--back. Yikes!

Steph

The scales may not be moving....but you may still be losing fat...use a tape measure and how your cloths fit to judge your weight as well as the scales. Have you had your perscent bodyfat checked?

I have an electronic scale that purports to measure body fat percentage. Don't know how accurate it is, but the reading fluctuates. No encouragement there... I measure again on the 20th, but I'm not expecting encouragement there, either.

Steph

Hi Steph - me again. My bodyfat scales (branded weight watchers, made by Tanita) are rubbish!!! It seems to depend on how hydrated I am.

I got really dispirited when I saw a gain during Xtrain (and an even bigger one during sts). I still don't know what happened, but the scales went down again shortly after finishing the rotation. I was just the same as you, in that my clothes got tighter, and, as someone pointed out :)mad:) I looked 'softer'. I don't think my eating habits changed, and I've been a steady weight for 20+ years. It can't have been muscle (I gained 6lb at one point) and didn't look like the usual water retention.
My only advice would be to enjoy your husband's 50th, then carry on with the rotation and trust it to work in the end. Difficult, I know.
Justine

Thanks, Justine, and all. I appreciate your kindness and your taking the time to respond. I did Athletic Training for the first time just now--cripes! It only took me about an hour and a half...:rolleyes:

You might want to give us some sample of your meals, snacks and calorie count. We may can pin point some things that may cause water retention besides weight work. How much sleep have you been getting?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.