Weight vs. Cardio

kimstarr

Hi Cathe!

I'm just getting back into these forums after a month, because I just moved. Your reply to someone about how long it took you to get back in shape after your baby was inspiring to me because it reminded me it takes hard work to get where you want to be, and I know I don't always work hard enough. (And I second the thread post that you are a rarity!)

My question for you though is my goal is to have more muscle and definition. I have some muscle already, but need to lose the extra fat around them, espcially thighs and stomach. I know cardio is good to lose fat, but also the more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn. So I'm wondering if I can only exercise for sure about one hour in the morning and maybe some in the evening-depeding on work/family-to exercise and sometime on the weekend, should I foucus more on weight vs. cardio like three days weight and 2 cardio? Or do even amounts of each? In the past I know I've done more cardio than weight. I mostly use Bodymax and IMAX sometimes Circuit Max, MIS and PS Legs. I would like to use the strength tapes more but worry that If I do an only weight tape more often, I won't lose the extra fat, so I alway end up doing BOdymax or IMAX. Sorry for the long question and hope it wasn't too confusing.

In case this helps for your answer, I probably have about 10-15 more pounds to lose of fat - Iam where I am now becuase of you and your tapes!
THANK YOU!

Kim

Hi Kim,
Just bumping this up again because I would love to hear the answer from our pro.

Everybody have a Happy 4th of July!

Lisa

I am really interested in a response as well. Its hard to fit in cardio, weight training, yoga and pilates in one hour a day - 6 days a week so I would love to know the most effective way to do so.

Hi Kim! Wow, this is quite a bumpy thread, HA:)! Sorry it took so long for me to get to this question.

Since everyones genetics are so different, you will really have to see what your body responds most favorably too. To get you started, you have to write down your goals (which you have already done). Then you have to write down what you are currently doing so as not to repeat this, since you have stated that this is not working toward your goals(be very honest with yourself on this evaluation). Write down to what intensity you have been performing your cardio, how hard you have applied yourself during your lifting, the type and quantity of food that you have been eating etc.. Once you have completed this, you need to make small changes to track what is and isn't working.

For example: Right now you say that you do more cardio than weights. So I would suggest doing an even amount of both. You also state that you have not been truly consistent with your weight tapes so I would become very consistent here. Start doing the PS Series once a week (each tape once). And although I don't give out hard core diet advice, this is also an area that needs to be addressed appropriately. So be sure that you eat the right amount of calories to fuel your workouts, get a wide variety of nutrition, eat balanced meals, drink plenty of water, and sleep well.

As you make these subtle changes, after about three weeks you should start seeing some progress. Be sure to write down areas where you have noticed impressive improvements and cater your future revisions in that direction. Good Luck!

Hi Cathe, THANK YOU

Thanks for getting to the question, I appreciate it so much, and I am sure everyone on the thread does to.

I am really going to take your advice to heart and really try this time. Thank you for the encouragement. I know your new weight tapes will also be a big motivation to stay consistent with weight training. I'll post in three weeks to let you know how I did, (that will also help keep me in line, having to report back!)

Thank you again,

Kim

It's amazing how a well thought out reply by a real professional can put everything into perspective...I've been thinking for awhile that we tend to get too "scientific" or "formulaic" in these things, instead of using good old common sense.
As Cathe says, we are all unique & only concentrated trial & error & honest self appraisal is going to tell us what works.
Thanks Cathe, I feel revitalized...and I don't even have my new workouts yet! ;-)
Ruth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.