Weight training for my sons?

janeybz

Cathlete
Hello Cathe,

First of all I have to tell you again how much your workouts have changed my life and how grateful I am to be able to do your workouts! I feel like I am healthier at 42 than I have ever been before! You are the best!

Now, my question - what do you think about an eight year old and a nine year old starting to do a little bit of weight training? I believe that I have read that it is safe as long as you don't overdo it. Andy is almost 10 and plays soccer and baseball. Jesse is 8 and does Tae Kwon Do. Either my husband or I run with them a couple of times a week too. When it rains they do the Cardio premix from Drill Max! (with some modifications, of course!) Anyway, we thought maybe we would add a little weight training for the summer. What would you suggest? Can I modify one of your tapes to be used with the boys? Obviously lighter weights and less reps?

Thank you!

Jane

I too have a 9 year old son. From what I have read it si NOT recommended to begin heavy weight training until at least 12. Has to do with muscle and bone development. The information I found does say strength training is a great addition for kids Though I found this link!! http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01010.html. Maybe using the band may be OK and non weighted resistance STRENGTH TRAINING. Not Cathe, but I haven't allowed my son to use heavier weightsyet.:)

Thank you Susan. It was a very good article and pretty much what I was thinking. I guess I misspoke when I asked about "weight training" when what I really meant was, indeed, strength training. I don't think I will ask them to try to lift more than 3-5lb dumb bells. I think we will probably be able to stay on task better when we have a tape to follow. Maybe just shortened sections of Cathe tapes to see her good form, using much, much less weight than Cathe would ever use. We will try the resistance bands and their own body weight too.

Thanks again for your response.

Jane

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.