Weight Training for Elderly...

dona

Cathlete
Dear Cathe -

I am well aware of your professional reluctance to comment on other instructors.
However, I'm hoping that this will be far enough away from your target that you
could recommend a few exercise tapes or instructors for older non-exercisers.

I'm hoping to get my 83 year old grandmother to get a bit of muscle tone. She
has bad osteoporosis. She has stayed fairly slim due to not overeating, but she
has little muscle tone and her posture is getting much worse. I know that some
very light weight work and toning exercises would help her enormously. I would
love to send her a few light weights and a couple of exercise tapes that she would
find interesting and do-able. She is able to walk unassisted so she is not limited
to all sitting workouts.

Also, if you know of any research that shows that her osteoporosis is reversible
with exercise that just might help convince her to give it a try.

Thank you for your consideration,
Dona

Hi, Dona! I'm not Cathe, but . . .

It's wonderful that you're doing research to help your grandmother! I would like to offer a suggestion, though: given your grandmother's advanced age and known osteoporosis condition, for safety's sake she would benefit greatly first from a doctor's clearance to perform weight lifting and then from some sessions with a personal trainer who is qualified for and skilled at working with senior populations. There can be some significant issues with beginning a strength training program at that age that need to be handled so that she can benefit the most: knowing initial strength capacities, range of motion, grip strength, blood pressure (strength training sessions can temporarily drive up BP), current medications, etc.

The whole field of personal training for senior citizens, especially senior women, is exploding in a very exciting way. If I were in your position, I would be looking for a trainer who has at the very least an undergraduate degree (preferably a master's) in exercise science, and certification from one of the reputable certifying agencies for strength training (American Council On Exercise, the National Strength Conditioning Association, the National Academy of Sports Medicine are three of the biggies) as well as specialized training in working with senior populations.

As for videos, you may be able to find some appropriate ones at the Collage Video website (www.collagevideo.com). They could be a good complement or follow-up to introductory personal training.

Just some suggestions from the Buttinski A-Jock.

A-Jock
Openly Bald

Hi, Dona -- Aqualock's message sure makes sense, but in conjunction with that, you might be interested in Miriam Nelson's series of Strong Women books-- one of which is Strong Women, Strong Bones, all about diet and exercise for osteosporosis. She also puts out a web program you might be interested in. Look up her website -- listed under Miriam Nelson and then go to the StrongWomen programs --she has four books and programs -- Strong Women Stay Slim, SW Stay Young, SW Strong Bones, and SW Beat Arthritis. If you click on the log under the Strong Bones fitness program, they can provide a personalized (?) exercise program, but as Aqualock suggests, only with an MD's approval. However, you can get some really good advice on this site and from her book.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Normandy

Thank you both for the replies. That definitely
gives me more to go on.

I'm sure that I can ask my uncle (my grandma's son
and a GP/surgeon) to approve her for some mild exercises.
I know they would be very easy going exercises at first.

Dona

Depending on the extent of her osteoporosis may also want to consider having your grandmother see a physical therapist initially. PTs have an extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology (a masters of bachelors degree is required for state licensure), especially the bony and neurological components of the vertebral column that is affected by osteoporosis. If your grandmother is experiencing postural changes, she may do well with a physical therapist evaluation initially to assess if the postural changes are rigid or fixed, as well as for postural/general conditioning exercises. Many clients who initate therapeutic exercise with a physical therapist will then follow up with a personal trainer for continued exercise.

My mother is going to be 75 and she also has osteoporosis. I would love to have a weight training video for her, something with light weights. She already does lots of walking, she just needs to incorporate some weights. This thread is a great idea to get seniors into fitness

RE: Elderly exercisers rock!

This thread has indeed been enjoyable, and I really second, third and fourth Bamagirl's suggestion about a physical therapist as a prelude to an exercise program for your grandma.

I teach an aqua class twice per week, and although the population generally tends to be anywhere from late 20's to mid-50's, I have a participant on Saturday mornings who jams like no tomorrow, and is probably in her late '70's. Also, in the past few weeks I read about a 62-year-old competitive power lifter (who began strength training in her late 40's), and then an 80-something marathon runner who continued to run while recovering from a mastectomy. And I met a 5K and 10K runner in Phoenix back in 1999 who was 80 years old at the time, and began running in her 60's.

Far too often especially in the traditional medical profession, elderly is considered synonymous with totally disabled, or ill. I do hope your grandma can take advantage of the growing services for people who choose NOT to believe that.

Go for it, Dona!

A-jock
In Training To Live Long and Croak Fast

Shaping Up With Weights For Dummies should be perfect. It has 12 exercises, one for each body part, 2 sets of each with a stretch after each set, and uses 2, 3 or 5 lb. weights. It is thoroughly explained and perfect for a beginner.

Good luck to her (and to you)!

Normandy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.