Weight training and bulk

Shara

Hi Cathe, I am new to your videos but already am a serious fan!! In your PS Legs and Abs video, you mention that if you are one of those people who feels they get bulky from weights, to go lighter or use no weights. I fit this category of developing muscle quickly but try to balance it with running. I have also heard that the "bulky phenomenon" is a myth, that we shouldn't fear weights. I like to lift heavy but do mix it up with light/high rep training, as well. What is your take on this? I want definition but I don't want to increase in size. I know muscle takes up less room so is it a matter of burning off more fat to stay lean looking? Thanks for any input,
Shara

Hi Shara!! I don't mean to butt in, but I also develope muscle fairly easily. I go as heavy as I can with the PS Series, and while I have noticed muscle growth, it's not that people are having a hard time telling wether I'm a man or not:)!
IMHO, You will not bulk up enough to look like hercules if you go heavy, and to get definition, you must keep your bodyfat low.
I also think that mixing up you weights and reps is a great thing to do!! Keeps your body guessing. Sounds to me like you're doing fine, just remember what Cathe also says in that video,"Don't be afraid to train with heavier weights, they do nice things for you!"
Have a good one!!

Aimee

Thanks, Aimee, for your input!! I agree that keeping the bodyfat low will help with definition. In the past, I haven't paid enough attention to nutrition so ended up larger and blamed it on weight-training. I know, now, that it was the junk I was consuming!! I'll keep on mixing it up with weights and see how I do. Cathe's tapes are wonderful, aren't they!! :)
Shara

Hi Shara! I think you are right on the money. The combination of heavy weight training mixed up with light/hi rep training, plus some running and clean diet will definitely point you in a positive direction to bring you the results you are looking for. Good Luck!

Aimee, what competition are you training for? What sort of workout schedule do you follow? Right now, I run 6 days/week first thing in the morning (about 25 miles/week) and weight train Mon/Weds/Fri. I am thinking about becoming a certified personal trainer. Take care, Best of luck!!
Shara

RE: Hi Shara!!

I'm training for a competition called The Monster Mash! It's on Oct 27th. That's so neat that you want to be a PT!! I just went and took my test on Sept 21-23!! It was a three day thing and now I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if I passed! My workout schedule is pretty simple, I'll give you my typical week right now, and then what I'll be doing come Nov.
Right now:
Mon- wlka/run interval first thing in a.m., Back, bi's, ab's and forearms in afternoon, and kickboxing in p.m.
Tues- same a.m. cardio, Chest and tri's in afternoon, and step in p.m.
Wed- yoga for 30 in a.m., legs, shoulders and abs in p.m.
Thurs- power walk for 30 min in a.m. light cardio in p.m.
Fri- cardio same as Mon and Tues in a.m., chest, back and abs in afternoon, step in p.m.
Sat- cardio same as thurs in a.m., legs, shoulders and forearms in p.m.
Sun-REST or Yoga

NOV:
Mon- BMAX
Tues-Rythmic Step
Wed- MIS
Thurs-MIC
Fri-Power Hour
Sat- IMAX
Sun- REST or Yoga

As you can see, I plan to do my workouts totally differently than I am now. And I plan to make them a little less time demanding. Whew! Training for a competition takes more time than I realized! I enjoy the training part though, although I think after this my body and mind will welcome the change. The hardest part is the diet. It sucks!! He he he! Hope this helped ya'!!

Aimee

Aimee.........

Wow Aimee!! :)
That is some workout schedule!! I wish you the best of luck in your competition!! The workouts you plan for November sound a little less demanding although Cathe's tapes are pretty tough, just the same!! Right now, I weight train 3 times/week and run 6 days/week. The running demands a lot of my energy so I find that weight training more often tends to burn me out. I am doing some research on being a PT and would like to work in a women's facility.
Take Care,
Shara ;)

RE: Shara,

How do you get up the endurance to run so much?? Boy, I don't run well! He he he! I can do the intervals though. I like those. Maybe I'm a sprinter at heart. Hmmmmm.... I hope you go for the PT Cert. I had so much fun that weekend, learning and meeting new people who all enjoyed doing the same things I enjoy! I made two new friends in those 3 days! Let me know if you decide to go for it! I'll be rooting for ya'!

Aimee

hi Aimee!!

I have been running for several years now but just recently did an endurance program that really helped me to run longer and faster. No doubt, the weight training helps with the interval work. Sounds like you had a great time getting your PT cert. Did you find it diffucult? Thanks for the encouragement.....I'll let your know how things go.
Shara ;-)

RE: hi Shara!

Only part of the test I found difficult. I'm great with written tests! I'm a book worm! But when they had us demonstrate and then oarlly quiz us, I fumbled a little bit. I'd been better if they would've let me just write an essay. He he he!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.