varicose veins

wolady

I have just been diagnosed with this condition and have read that lifting heavy objects makes them worse. WEll does lifting weights on a regular basis and doing the high step climb make them worse? I reallly don't want to quit my lifting heavy but sure don't want these ugly and sore legs either. If you have any suggestions please respond. My dr. suggest running to help with the blood circulation.

I don't have any helpful ideas about workout routines, but I did want to say I understand. It's in my genes and unfortunatly I have some pretty nasty ones already. I try to sit with my legs elevated whenever I can (on the couch or even at the dinner table I prop them up on a chair. I try to avoid crossing my legs no matter what but it was such a habbit before I realized it was contributing to my veins that I still have trouble sometimes. I was told that in most cases raising my heart rate would help stimulate my circulation. I have not been to a doctor about it specially. Most of my infomation came from a family practice doctor I had to see before entering college who comment on my poor circulation and varicose veins.

Hi!
I also have varicose veins. Actually, I've had them stripped twice from both legs. A big help to me was when I got rid of all pants that are tight fitting in the waist. They were causing the blood to have a much harder time moving back up and contributing to my problem. I also have some support hose. My insurance company will pay for a pair every 6 months, but I've also bought some on my own at the pharmacy. I usually try to buy 15 or 20mm, and I prefer the ones that look like socks over the ones that look like hose.

It's been suggested to me that walking and low impact is better for the veins than running and high impact. I still do both, so I can't really comment. Just make sure that you cool down enought, otherwise the blood pools in the legs.

Look into the support hose. You can wear them (or the socks) to work and it will help prevent them getting any worse.

Hi,

I have this too unfortunately. Genetics like you, and 2 pregnancies really did one leg in. There's a new procedure called EVLS , endovenous laser surgery or something...you can google it. I went in for a consultation and am having it done next winter. They laser the ends of the vein (usually saphenous vein is the problem) with heat, then the vein dies and atrophies and gets reabsorbed.

Anyway just in the past year, almost all major insurances have started covering it, there's no downtime for recovery. I can't wait to go get this done!

A vascular surgeon will know a lot more about it than a family doc.

I do understand how it feels. They itch, they swell, and don't exactly look sexy in shorts! ;(

bella

I have very black large veins thanks to being a nurse assist that stand more than 50% of my shift and being pregnant 4 times. When I started excersizing they got smaller but I recently read a doctor will have to be consulted about these veins because they are not as harmless as they once believed.

THanks for all your replies. I just spoke again with my dr. and he said the harm can be a blood clot if you don't keep this under control. He said excercise, keep feet up above heart level and wear compression stockings when up on feet. He said it will only get worse if I don't do something about it now. He actually called it venous insuffeciency. I think I will stop using heavy lower body weight work anyway, just to see what happens. When I do Cathe w/o I think I will no weight or very light ones with the leg work. I still will use fairly heavy for upper body though. What do you think of this idea?? I do know that lifting heavy can make your veins bulge. Look at how veins on proffessional lifters look!!!

Who do you go see if you have varicose veins? I have them but I'm not sure how bad they are, but what struck me about this thread is I have been having leg pain & fatigue in my legs on and off. I never linked it to the veins. Now you have me thinking.

Thanks,
Debbie

I just went to a family dr. for mine. I got scared when working on my feet, that my legs were aching and stinging, and I sat down finally, my ankles were purple and red, looked like they were bruising and my calf on my right leg. My left leg wasn't as bad. I have a few large bulging veins but I didn't link the two together either. I bought my first pair of compression stockings. What a bummer to have to wear these already, but everyone says they help so much.
good luck to you too.

Hi everyone! I just had the endovenous laser treatment for chronic venous insufficency of my left saphenous vein. The pooling of blood in my calves is gone!!! Luckily, a doctor here in Austin was one of the pioneers of this procedure.

I strongly encourage everyone who has variocose veins to get a doppler ultrasound of the saphenous vein (it is the main vein that runs down the entire leg). If the valves of the saphenous vein are not working, branches of the saphenous will become varicosed.

I still use support hose to workout in. I highly recommend the mediven line. Best I have tried so far.

We are so lucky to now have an non-invasive treatment today. No one should have to live with swollen ankles/calves.

I have decided to never do squats or lunges with a barbell ever again. I don't want to put too much pressure on the vein. I still do them with light hand weights.

Anyone considering the endovenous laser treatment feel free to pm.

Lisa

>Hi,
>
>I have this too unfortunately. Genetics like you, and 2
>pregnancies really did one leg in.

Ditto.

There's a new procedure
>called EVLS , endovenous laser surgery or something...you can
>google it. I went in for a consultation and am having it done
>next winter. They laser the ends of the vein (usually
>saphenous vein is the problem) with heat, then the vein dies
>and atrophies and gets reabsorbed.
>Anyway just in the past year, almost all major insurances have
>started covering it, there's no downtime for recovery. I
>can't wait to go get this done!

I had that done a couple of years ago. It took about an hour. You have to wear super support hose for about a week after. I wouldn't say there's no downtime for recovery, but it's minimal. The hose stocking was uncomfortable for a day or two and you have to wear it 24/7 for that week.
The oddest thing about that procedure is that while they cauterize that vein, I could taste burning metal. Weird! They made an incision about 2" above my knee, then they threaded the laser thru to the other end of the vein (toward the ankle, in my case), and burn as they come back out. My insurance did cover the entire procedure. I'm very pleased with the results. My legs still look like road maps but that was my only bulging vein--I could actually see it in my shadow.

Lisa

RE: Here's a website

I am having this procedure done in July. I have some vein issues with my right leg from four pg's. Mine are very unsightly, I have three veins that run across the front of my shin bone that stick out like ropes and then they run together into a clustered mess on the side of my leg and that is the area that will give me pain. I always wear jeans when I go hiking for fear I will snag one of those veins on a stick and cut it open. :(

You need to be referred to a vein surgeon by another doctor, such as your family doctor or as in my case my Gyn. First you will have a consultation with the surgeon and if he/she feels you are a candidate for surgery you will then need to have a ultrasound of the offending leg(s) to determine the cause of your varicose veins...this U/S will last about an hour. I was told the laser procedure will take about an hour but I will be in the clinic about two hours total...start to finish. They will numb my entire leg with locals. I was told to resume normal activity after the procedure, to not sit/lay around. I was also told I will be fully able to drive myself home after the procedure. You do need to have the Rx hose with you the day of the procedure because they will put them on you before you leave the clinic/hospital and you must wear them 24/7 with the exception of showering for the first seven days post procedure. I was told to go easy on exercise the first couple of days (just walking) but to resume normal yet not too strenuous activity the rest of time up to 7 day post exam and then can resume exercise routine as normal then.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.