V Pikes and wrist pain

Lollie61

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

First, I would like to say Thank you for the Intensity series. I am enjoying it very much. The dvds are GREAT!!

Okay, the only problem I am having is w/ the V Pikes. My wrists are KILLING me! Also, I think I am a little nervous about bringing my butt up to high because I feel as though I am going to flip over.:eek:

Can you give me some guidance w/ the V Pike? I'm thinking that I am doing something wrong, that is why I am having pain in my wrists.

Hope to hear from you.

Lollie

Hi Lollie! I just gave advice for this yesterday so I will copy and paste the answer as to save a little time. Thanks, I hope you don't mind.

In addition to the the pasted response, you do not need to do the full V pike version if it makes you nervous. The version where you simply bring your knees into your chest is a modified version for this.

Good Luck!

Here is the copied response.....

As for your wrist pain, Apryl is absolutely correct. Connective tissues, ligaments, and tendons, definitely need time to adjust to new weight increments as do they when new stresses are placed on them due to different body positions(ie: prone stability ball positions). So ease into all new exercises gradually, never taking on too much too soon.

If you are currently very tender in your wrist, take a break from all exercises that aggrivate it and rest it for about a week. You can also take a couple of ibuprofen during this time. Then after one week start doing stretching and strengthening exercises for the wrist and continue to do them from here on out(ie: strength examples: wrist curls with dumbbells, use a device called a grip master, squeeze a small ball etc. For a stretch, gently stretch hand and fingers backward away from palm and then forward toward palm )

Once returning to your prone stability ball exercises, place more of the weight on the mounds of your fingers, taking stress off the heel of your hand (again, work into this new hand position gradually too). You can even try rolling a towel in a long tubular span (3 inch in diameter) and placing it under the heel of your hands while you are in these positions. Hope this helps.

If you would like to read this thread in its entirety, here is a link!

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=23459&mesg_id=23459&page=

Thanks Cathe! I read the first post on wrist pain and it described what I was feeling to the T. I am going to work on taking the weight off the heel of my palms. I will start w/ 5 or 6 pikes and work up. Well, I may start w/ 4 pikes. :p

Thanks for the reply and have a positive day!

Lollie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.