Using your step tapes while pregnant

Shanda

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I asked this question in fitmoms but, I got no response. I'm wondering if it's ok to use your step tapes while I'm pregnant? I'm 5 months and I just started back working out because of the scare with the baby I was to afraid. I'm doing about 30-40mins two to three times a week. By the way thank you so much for your kind words over at fitmoms it meant alot to me because you mean so much to all of us. Thanks.

Shanda:)

Hi,
I'm not Cathe but I can give you a little insight, when I was pregnant, I did step aerobics for half an hour 3 times a week or whenever I wasn't tired. However, I would not do any jumping, running or leaps especially in third trimester. You can hurt yourself badly if you do that. I did Kathy Smith's Power Step when I was pregnant but I lowered my step and did the beginner's to intermediate level without any jumping or running. Try not to work out too hard and don't lift heavy weights as well. In your third tri. if you're too tired to work out or too big which I was around 8th month, go for a walk or do Leslie Sansone. Even Kathy Smith's pregnancy workout was pretty good. Just don't work too hard or get too hot from working out. I wish you a lot of luck with your baby.

Hey Shanda - I'm 19 weeks currently and still using my step tapes, but on a 4" board and without a lot of power. I still do the power moves if they're necessary to prevent injury - like hop turns - I just don't catch as much air as I used to. And of course I still do pendulums, 'cause they're fun. :D But everything else is getting modified down. Also, I wear a HRM, so I can keep an eye on my exertion level. Don't work yourself to the point of fatigue. Some days I do only a half-hour, some days I have more energy and can go an hour if I keep it low-impact. It just depends on how I feel.

In the last trimester, balance is an issue, so you may decide to abandon your step altogether. I'm going to continue as long as it works for me.

By the way, I did read about your scare at Fitmoms and I'm so happy everything has turned out well for you and your baby!

Tracy

>Hey Shanda - I'm 19 weeks currently and still using my step
>tapes, but on a 4" board and without a lot of power. I still
>do the power moves if they're necessary to prevent injury -
>like hop turns - I just don't catch as much air as I used to.
>And of course I still do pendulums, 'cause they're fun. :D
>But everything else is getting modified down. Also, I wear a
>HRM, so I can keep an eye on my exertion level. Don't work
>yourself to the point of fatigue. Some days I do only a
>half-hour, some days I have more energy and can go an hour if
>I keep it low-impact. It just depends on how I feel.
>
>In the last trimester, balance is an issue, so you may decide
>to abandon your step altogether. I'm going to continue as
>long as it works for me.
>
>By the way, I did read about your scare at Fitmoms and I'm so
>happy everything has turned out well for you and your baby!
>
>Tracy

Hi Tracy,
Thank you so much. I'm glad it's over and that my little girl is fine. You're right behind me I'm 21 weeks. Getting a HRM is really a good idea.

Shanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.