Unexplainable Phenomenon ...?

niclyf

Cathlete
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this .. I'm just getting back from a 2 1/2 day business trip in which I really wasn't able to workout, and eat quite as good. Although it wasn't a total diet disaster, I was eating slighty more than usual, but still mostly healthy ... fruit and 1/2 bagel for breakfast, turkey sandwiches for lunch, chicken breast both nights for dinner with some veggies or potatoes, (desert 1 night) and a couple of drinks each night. So how in the WORLD did I gain 5.5 pounds in 2 1/2 days?? I don't often have PMS water weight gain, and am not close to my cycle to let that be the scapegoat anyways. What in the world happened that I would see such a dramatic increase in 2 1/2 days, a such short timeframe! I'm not at the point of panic over it .. but I am incredibly confused ... that equates to what .. ? .. about 20,000 excess calories to equate to 5 pounds, and I know I didn't eat *that* much ... I'm not hugely knowledgeable in this area, and I'm really confused ... Any ideas of what happened here?

Thanks!
nicole

Nicole, did you fly?

I used to do a lot of job related air travel & would bring home extra water weight which quickly disappeared. I compounded it by drinking extra H2O to offset the dehydrating affect of flying.

Also restaurant food is usually high in sodium. Cheapest seasoning in the kitchen.

I bet the freeloading pounds disappear really quick if you go back to a normal diet. No Chinese take-out or movie popcorn for you this weekend.

Debra

Lucky for me I hate chinese .. however lack of popcorn this weekend could throw me off more than the 5 new pounds!!! :)

I didn't fly .. drove actually (about a two hour drive) .. I did so many veggies at my dinners that I'm just baffled at how I gained anything, especially that much .. I'm hoping you're right and that it's just some bizarre travel funk that will quickly dissepate .. :)

Thanks for your reply!
Happy Workouts! :)
~ Nicole

The same thing happens to me

Every time I go away on a business trip, I gain many more pounds than what I could have possibly eaten in calories. I usually fly, so I've always attributed it to retaining water after sitting still all day, both on the way out, and on the way home. I also don't do housework (hotel rooms and meals are great for making you lazy!) or any real walking when away, so nothing moves through my system as quickly, if you know what I mean.

When I get home, I'm usually back to normal after 1-2 days of normal activity and working out. Let us know how you are doing on Monday!

Sandi M

Yikes

You guys are scaring me! :-wow I leave tomorrow for a four day business trip. It's just a two hour car trip away, but there will be food galore and no workout facilities. We're going to be right on the coast (Monterey, CA), so I am going to bring my running shoes in case I can slip away for a scenic run or walk. I'm going to try my best to make smart food choices, keep up my water habits, and avoid all the desserts I will be tempted with. This will be my major challenge as I have a huge sweet tooth! Wish me luck! :) I will keep reminding myself that come next Monday, I'll be back on track!

RE: Yikes

I want to know what causes this also. I remember on my honeymoon, my husband and I went on a 10-day cruise and I ate so healthy, nothing fatty, no desserts, no alcohol, no nothing but good foods and I came home 10lbs heavier!!!!!! Two years ago, we went away again for a week and again, this happened with me being 5lbs heavier - I don't understand it either.

RE: Yikes

Boy .. I started something ugly didn't I?? :)

I will say .. I'm pretty much back to my pre-business trip weight. I haven't the foggiest idea what in the world would cause this type of gain to happen, especially since I didn't gorge on bad foods. Kind of puts a whole new dread on business trips! :) Rest assured though, I think whoever said it before must've been right .. just lots of water weight, because I'm just about back to normal .. and that's including my cheesecake treat Saturday night!! Oh .. did I mention my peanut butter and pretzel snack yesterday?? :)

Hugs to all!
Nicole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.