Uneven strength

hriacobacci

Cathlete
I have been noticing some major strength differences lately between my left arm and right arm (with just about every exercise). I use dumbbells for everything as I don't have a barbell so I would assume that I should be "even". Right now if I start to lose form, I just stop and regroup then pick back up rather than going down in weight for that arm.

In order to try to get my left side equal to the right, should I do extra reps?

Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather!

To some degree, everyone has this issue, however, if you feel yours is excessive then try this for starters....after an exhausting set, recover briefly and then do a do a few extra reps, per exercise, on the weaker arm if you like.

I have been noticing some major strength differences lately between my left arm and right arm (with just about every exercise). I use dumbbells for everything as I don't have a barbell so I would assume that I should be "even". Right now if I start to lose form, I just stop and regroup then pick back up rather than going down in weight for that arm.

In order to try to get my left side equal to the right, should I do extra reps?

Thanks,
Heather

Last edited:
Thank you. I do feel like it's becoming more prominent so I wanted to address it earlier rather than later. It's getting to the point where I am hitting failure about 2-3 reps sooner than my other arm (this is for biceps, triceps mostly, but I can feel myself struggle on some shoulder).

I will try adding a few extra reps in and see how that works.

Thanks again,
Heather

Thank you. I do feel like it's becoming more prominent so I wanted to address it earlier rather than later. It's getting to the point where I am hitting failure about 2-3 reps sooner than my other arm (this is for biceps, triceps mostly, but I can feel myself struggle on some shoulder).

I will try adding a few extra reps in and see how that works.

Thanks again,
Heather

Hi Heather, Do you feel this on your shoulder? I have the same trouble, when I'm doing shoulder press my left shoulder get so weak and this week when I was doing biceps I was having some pain, and than on Monday night I sleep over that side all night so the next day I had a serious pain.
I've been going to Physical Therapy I was getting worried, And I did what you did after I was done with the workout i would do extra with a heavy weight just to see if I can gain some straight.
I hate this shoulder:mad::confused:

COUNTING DAYS
6 more weeks until my DH get back home.;)
Eunice:D

I have had the same issues with shoulders. I sleep on my stomach so my arms are all kinds of twisted wrong. I think the initial weakness is coming from something in my elbow. Just above the elbow it feels sooooo weak when I try to do biceps and triceps. Shoulder presses start to get more difficult too depending on what muscle group I am working (like if I've done triceps and shoulders). I can feel it in that elbow area though - like it just doesn't want to work right. No real pain per se, just weakness/fatigue. In turn, during biceps I start to lose form and hoist with that shoulder. It's a vicious cycle. One thing leads to another to another!

Heather

Hi Heather, Do you feel this on your shoulder? I have the same trouble, when I'm doing shoulder press my left shoulder get so weak and this week when I was doing biceps I was having some pain, and than on Monday night I sleep over that side all night so the next day I had a serious pain.
I've been going to Physical Therapy I was getting worried, And I did what you did after I was done with the workout i would do extra with a heavy weight just to see if I can gain some straight.
I hate this shoulder:mad::confused:

COUNTING DAYS

I have had the same issues with shoulders. I sleep on my stomach so my arms are all kinds of twisted wrong. I think the initial weakness is coming from something in my elbow. Just above the elbow it feels sooooo weak when I try to do biceps and triceps. Shoulder presses start to get more difficult too depending on what muscle group I am working (like if I've done triceps and shoulders). I can feel it in that elbow area though - like it just doesn't want to work right. No real pain per se, just weakness/fatigue. In turn, during biceps I start to lose form and hoist with that shoulder. It's a vicious cycle. One thing leads to another to another!

Heather

I know, my Physical Therapist told me not to do anything, but I never listen,
i been working out anyways i just have to pay attention to my form, that's what i notice. That help me a lot.
Well good luck I hope you get better.

COUNTING DAYS

Thanks - you too!

Heather

I know, my Physical Therapist told me not to do anything, but I never listen,
i been working out anyways i just have to pay attention to my form, that's what i notice. That help me a lot.
Well good luck I hope you get better.

COUNTING DAYS

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.