trap and back questions

gettingthere

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and educated crowd!

I was quite startled today to see how developed my trapezius muscles had become! NOT something I was hoping for!! I know I need to lay off the shrugs and upright rows, but are there other exercises I should avoid for a while? Also, I hate to miss out on the shoulder benefits of the upright rows, so is there another exercise I should subsitute?

On to my back question: I have been trying to pay a little extra attention to my back lately, but I was told that I should avoid back rows because it makes the back very very wide. Is that true?Again, what could be substituted for that exercise?

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Best,
Liz

Hi Liz!
Since Cathe is headed for Disneyland, maybe I can make a stab at an answer. How 'bout overhead presses? And there's always the fine side lateral raises. Make sure you consciously press your shoulders down while doing these, and keep your weight low enough that you are not tempted to shrug.

Now about the back. Only men can get a *very* wide back. If we women get a little mass that widens the back, it makes the waist appear smaller! Also, a strong back enables us to do more fitness activities that burn fat faster.

One-arm rows, bent rows, and dead lifts all work the back and Cathe does them, and her back looks great to me. Pull-ups are supposed to be fabulous for the back. Too bad I can't even do one. I do make my back (lats) extremely sore after doing 4-6 slow negative ones.

If you want to avoid the look of mass behind the underarm area, possibly limiting your back work to endurance rather than slow- heavy or pull-ups might enable you to get strong while adding minimum mass.

One way to gain strength as opposed to mass is supposed to be doing very low, heavy reps with long rests. Not going to failure and avoiding slow negatives (those both are credited for increasing size over strength).

I hope you don't shy away from weight training in fear of getting too big or wide. It is hard to do if you are female.
HTH
-Connie

Thanks for all the suggestions Connie!

And don't worry - I am totally hooked on weight training! I've been doing it for a year now and can't imagine ever quitting!

Best,
Liz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.