Too late to get flat abs ?

RhiannonW

Cathlete
Is it possible to 'undo' my lower abdominal pooch?
I haven't been faithful to always keep my lower abs pulled in. I am in great shape everywhere but my lower abs. It's like I've done crunches without holding them flat. They're somewhat firm, and pooch out.
Can anyone help with info?
Thank you.

In the book "The core program" by Peggy Brill (a physical therapist) the authors states that many people have lower ab pooches from doing crunches or other ab exercises that may strengthen some ab muscles, but at the expense of the transverse abdominal muscles--deep muscles which work to hold in the abs. I have the same lower ab pooch, and I have started to do more core abdominal exercises, like those shown in her book, and eliminate most standard crunches. I haven't done it long enough to see much of a difference, but I'm willing to try it! Based on this information, one should emphasize pilates-type ab work and other moves where you are working to hold your abs stable while moving either your arms or your legs.

Transverse Ab muscle exercises

are the only ab exercises I do. I love them. I find for me that they work better than traditional crunches.

SusanR

Hi Karen, I'd like to know the answer to your question too. Might be a new video that I could ask Santa for!
Lisa

I've heard that Pilates is really good for working the transverse abdominis. It helped strengthen my tummy after a c-sec, although it's not flat yet because I haven't done any Pilates in the past few months (shame on me!) and I also have a little extra fat in that area... but try Pilates anyway. It made me an inch taller in just a month from stretching and lengthening my spine!

My Top 3

Here are my favorites:

Stott's Pilates matwork

Precision Toning (or Kries's newer version)

Suzanne Deasons Balance Ball workout for abs (love this - I posted more on the Open Forum)

Cathe put a good dose of stabilization work in her new videos. Obviously the planks, but the forward leans, split stance & table back positions really work the core. Sneaky isn't she!

Hi! Core training has been a strong focus in the fitness industry for a few years now. This training along with more traditional ab work (crunches)makes for a more well rounded program to help with your situation. I have been incorporating core exercises in the last couple video series (cross train express series and slow and heavy series). There are even a couple in the Power Hour video. Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.