Tired

AmyWI

Hi Cathe or anyone else,
I'm bummed out this am and need some encouragement! For the past 3 yrs. I've worked out for 6 days a week with rarely any interruptions. The reason I'm bummed is because I just don't feel good today, have a headache-didn't sleep well either. I guess I just feel "weird" not working out but I feel like my body needs a break right now. I usually work out for 45-60 min. Sometimes a little longer. How do you get over the guilty feeling that you should be working out?

If I feel better later I may workout but I know I need to get over the fact that I'm not right now. Hope this post isn't confusing....

Keep in mind why you are working out in the first place. I would hope that at least some of the reason is for overall health and fitness, and to reduce the risk of chronic disease.

Part of the 'health and fitness' equation is rest and recovery when needed.

Exercise is a stress, illness is a stress. While stress can be positive or negative, too much is definitely negative.

Give yourself a break and take the day off. Eat well, drink plenty of fluids, and you may feel better tomorrow. (If you try to push through and exercise anyway, you may end up with something that drags on longer).

Kathryn - you are sooo right! In some ways I think you can get addicted to working out. There are times when I know I need to take a day off, but then I think to myself, "what else am I going to do?" "Surely just 30 mins won't hurt." Of course, I'm also the one who complains about never having enough time to catch up on chores and errands. I have to really force rest days on myself. Once I've taken one, however, I feel so much better and rejuvenated. I never, I mean never took a rest week from weights until I did STS. I admit that the first rest week I did one cardio circuit and then it hit me how dog tired exhausted I was physically and how I was doing myself no good. After that, I enjoyed my week off from weight training and felt so much stronger when I started back. In fact, I'm getting close to needing a rest week like that again!

Sorry for the ramble!
Heather

I agree with both of you! I guess you could say I'm addicted to working out, but know my body well enough to hold back....it's the mental aspect of it that gets me. I know I shouldn't workout today-and I haven't-but internally I'm struggling. It's hard for me to rest; I feel like I should be active. Hopefully I'm better tomorrow.

You are soooo not alone. I sometimes think there is something major wrong with me for thinking that way. Today is my rest day and I even set my alarm "just in case" this morning. I mean seriously... I'd be embarrassed to admit it anywhere but here!

Maybe we need an "I think I'm Over Training" Check in!

Heather

I agree with both of you! I guess you could say I'm addicted to working out, but know my body well enough to hold back....it's the mental aspect of it that gets me. I know I shouldn't workout today-and I haven't-but internally I'm struggling. It's hard for me to rest; I feel like I should be active. Hopefully I'm better tomorrow.

Heather-
Yess!! I mean, I too, wouldn't admit it elsewhere, but I do feel like I HAVE to be working out. I guess if I'm going to be addicted to something, exercising isn't all that bad. Since I didn't sleep well, I know it's good that I'm not working out. I was going to do some cardio along with Cathe's Legs and Glutes today and I'm pretty sure I'd fall off the step! :rolleyes: Anyway, hopefully tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.