tingley feet problems

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with tingley pain in my feet when I ride my recumbant bike. It's usually the arch of my right foot and my left toes. I know my shoes arent' too tight, i've tried loosening them, tightening them, and I have New Balance shoes which are good shoes. I usually have to stop for a minute and move my feet around.

It is helping a bit now that I do a circut kinda thing on my bike, i'll bike for 10 minutes, lift for a few, and repeat this cycle. But yesterday it was a problem even then.

Thanks for input,

Kerri :)
<><

Hi Kerri,

I don't have an answer but I can't wait to hear if you get any good suggestions. I also have a recumbant bike and the exact same thing happens to me :-wow I also have tried loosening my shoes and took the foot straps off but I still get that same feeling. It is better with the foot straps off though but still there. Anyway, I thought I would let you know you are not alone :)

Alison

Good question! I had the same problem and got so frustrated that I gave away my bike. The podiatrist treated me for inflamed nerves in the feet and strongly suggested I switch to New Balance shoes. When everything was back to normal I got another recumbent bike and it started all over again. Maybe it has more to do with the seat than the feet? I'd love to know because I got rid of the second bike, too. I sure miss having a recumbent!

Linda

Hmmmmm. I had this problem when stair-stepping and this is the advice I was given. (I guess the motion of stair-stepping was cutting off the circulation in my feet, causing the numb/tingly feeling.)

Try wigging your toes every so often while you're cycling.

Wow, it's comforting to know i'm not the only one with this problem. But a bummer that we don't know why. I try wiggling my toes ALL the time, that doesn't seem to make a difference. The only thing that helps, is when I stop for a minute and stand up and step on my feet. Then I go back to riding for about 5 minutes and it's back. I really enjoy the bike because if my daughter's watchin cartoons or i'm short on time, I jump on my bike.

speaking of tingling. Back when I did masonry work full time I would always get tingly hands in the night. Boy it was painful. Well, this week end I did some brick work and moved a bunch of BIG rocks out at the lake cabin and my hands are killing today.
Have you ever tried sleeping with your hands straight up in the air? ha ha :) Anyone know why the tingle?

Have a great day and thanks. I looked forward to returning from the lake and reading the posts!!

Kerri :)
<><

Hi Kerri! You are not alone. This is actually a pretty common problem with many exercisers, most commonly noted when riding the bike or using the stair climber machine. To my knowledge there has never been a specific condition connected to this however, the suggested remedy has been to either loosen your shoes, find more comfortable fitting shoes, or engage in other activities that keep your feet moving in a variety of directions (all of which you are already doing). Good luck with everything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.