time off

Lisa11

Cathlete
Hi Cathe - I have been using your step tapes for a year and MIS for six months. I had been doing Body Pump for a year and half before that and I still noticed definite results with MIS - I really love it. I'm considering having surgery that would require me to take two weeks off from any workout, and one month of no upper body work. I'm wondering how much strength and definition I would lose in that amount of time and how long it would take me to get back to the level I'm at now. If Cathe can't answer I would appreciate advice from anyone. Thanks!

I recently broke my wrist and tailbone and couldn't do any upper body work for about six weeks. I was very worried and anxious about losing strength, but was very pleasantly surprised when I started back. I found that it took me a very short time to bounce right back to where I was. Psychologically, I imagined my muscles just wasting away, but they didn't. When I had to take the time off, Cathe suggested that I use that time to explore other interests - maybe you can try that.
Good luck with the surgery if you decide to go through with it!
Erica

I recently had surgery. It has been almost 4 weeks and I am so
anxious to get back into my routine. I am worried about losing
definition. I tried walking and cant even do that yet. The swinging of my arms hurts too much. I need help with lower
body workouts that dont use your arms.

Maureen - I did lots of floorwork when my wrist was broken. Also, you could do some standing leg work with no weights.
Good luck!
Erica

Hi, Maureen

The only thing aerobic I can think of which doesn't use or swing your arms is the stationary bike. Do you have one at home, or access to a gym or YWCA? (I also thought of paddle-boating, but doubt if many of us have access to a paddle boat!)

As a general observation, my understanding is if you exercise any body part, the rest of your body will maintain fitness to a certain degree. In other words, if you break your right leg & continue to hop around & exercise your left leg, your right leg will be in far better shape when the cast comes off than if you did no exercise at all. I remember reading this in a study. I guess every little thing helps!

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I took a hiatus from any working out (except walking the dog) for about 6 months, and when I finally got myself to start over again, I was in far better shape than when I originally started working out for the first time. I also built up strength & stamina much faster. It was a very pleasant surprise! Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon & will find your fitness to be in decent shape.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to try Leaner Legs tomorrow with no weights. I just have always worked out. I feel
like all my hard work is going into flab. I have a desk job and
hate sitting so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.