Tibialis Anterior Question

Reese777

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I'm curious as to your experiences/thoughts on a possible tibialis injury. Can an injury of this area of the leg be caused by lack of flexibility in the calf and hamstring area?

I have been out of commission for various reasons over the past year and my fitness level has gone down (while my weight has gone up! LOL). A week or two ago, I ran 2-3 times in one week on the treadmill. Nothing extreme - just a 30 minute program run which starts with walking and increases to a peak speed of 6.0 for about 3 minutes and then decreases back to walking. I started having pain in the front of my leg.

The best way to describe the location is if you look at your foot and the knobby part of your ankle bone and come up on the leg about 3 inches and over toward the shin about an inch there's actually a knot! I was scared because my first thought was I could have cracked it, but I had an xray and the results were normal.

I did some internet research about the muscles of the leg, and noticed that the Tibialis Anterior runs in that area - but I've never hurt the front of my leg before or had shin splints no matter how much mileage I covered. Plus, I've done NO exercise (arrrgh!) for at least two weeks and it still hurts despite ibuprofen use and icing the area. I really want to get back into a good routine and try to lose the weight I have put on, but it seems I'm always getting injured. (fuss fuss)

HELP!

Hi,

Not Cathe here, but I have had the same pain. It is called anterior compartment syndrome. I ended up going to physical therapy for it. Streching the calf and achilles a lot really helped me. I also did a lot of yoga. My doc said that I may have been tying my shoes too tight. If you have insurance I would go see the doctor.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.