tennis elbow

Lynnf

Hi Cathe,
About a year ago I got tennis elbow in my right arm from doing videos that had you lifting pretty heavy weights quite fast. After taking a few months off, my doctor oked me for light weight and toning. Not being satisfied at just this level I have been gradually adding weights very carefully. I spent 3 months doing a CTX rotation and now am rotating your MIS and PS series. I haven't had any troubles, though at times, my right forearm hurts very, very slightly, particularly when I am putting down weights (not usually during the exercises themselves). Do you have any advice about how to avoid further injury in this area? Are there any exercises to avoid or ones that would be particularly helpful to do.
Thank you very much. I have been doing your tapes since the original Step N Motion 1 and always love them.
Lynn

Hi Lynn! I would definitely let your doctor know that you are easing your way back into heavier weights and see what he says to do. I know a few people who have had tennis elbow and the best advise I could give them (outside of having their doctors approval)is to discontinue exercise when they were feeling any pain or inflamation, and continuously stretch and strengthen the area. You say that you are currently not experiencing pain while doing your workout so that is good but it wouldn't be a bad idea to continue with stretch and strengthen exercises for this sensitive area too.

Here are some suggestions:

Stretching your forearm extensors is important to encourage full range of motion. Begin your first stretch by extending your arm with the palm of your hand facing downwards and then pull your hand upwards towards your forearm. The second stretch is a reversal of this, meaning that you pull your hand downwards towards the underside of your forearm.

Wrist curls are a good exercise that works the underside of the forearm muscles. Grasp a dumbbell in each hand and sit down. Then lay your forearms on your thighs with your hands dangling over your knees, your palms facing upwards. Begin your first repetition by curling the weight upwards at the wrist and then slowly lowering. A similar exercise to work the tops of your forearms can be performed by starting with your palms facing downwards.

You could also include isometric exercises. Squeeze a tennis ball in the palm of your hand and hold it momentarily before releasing. Another exercise is a rubber band exercise, where the band should be placed at your fingertips. Start the exercise by extending your fingers outwards and then hold for a few seconds before releasing. Aim to perform these exercises twice a day.

Hope this helps:)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.