Teaching Step

chars2boys

Cathlete
Cathe - any advice on teaching a beginner/intermediate step & weights class? I've been doing it for 2 months now but still don't feel like I'm very good at it.
I can do the step part just fine, it is the cueing (sp?) that I have problems with.
I keep the BPM at 128.

Thanks for the advice.

Charlene

Not Cathe, obviously - but I'll jump in -

I've been teaching for six years, and I always feel I can get better. Practice, practice, practice, and whatever you do, make sure you love what you're teaching. I've said no to teaching things that don't float my boat anymore. Not worth the pain and frustration.

Also, find an instructor you'd like to emulate. I have a couple at my gym (and cathe;-) ) who have been teaching for 20 years. Of course, they draw crowds of 60+, but they've been doing it forever! I grab ideas from them, but I also make sure to be myself in class. Connect with your class by knowing you are truly enjoying it, be real, stay focused, and remember you can't please everyone.

Remember different participants require diff. levels of attention. Advance exercisers just want to push, push, push, while the beginners might need you to slow down. Again, you can't please everyone, but as your experience increases, you'll be able to balance both ends. It's an art; remember, just make sure you love the class type, and your class will feed off that!

Cheers!

Thank you so much for your advice. I think you are right - part of the problem is that I don't really enjoy teaching step. I love to do it but teachinig it is a whole different ball game!
I'll try to stick with it a few more weeks and see if my attitude changes.

I felt the same way until I found an instructor I loved and saw that it could be fun...with the right music, etc. I also try to get people to enjoy it -- the dance and "feel good" movement factor. Make it creative for you, from your heart (seriously! it works!), and then you'll feel like it's your own little project!

Also, I encourage people to breathe and listen to their bodies. So, instead of pounding away, make sure there's balance in there. Make sure you're having fun and enjoying the movement.

I also teach weights classes and would LOVE to get into more stretch/yoga/breathing classes! ; ) Very centering.

GREAT thread!
I too just started teaching my classes and I love them. I opted for a bootcamp style of class. LOVE it!

HOWEVER, problem is this: MUSIC!! I can't find music that I like that I can design moves to go along w/ them. Or I find the music, but can't get the steps to go w/ them.

How do you ladies solve this problem??? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

take care:)
gloria

Find an instructor you can shadow. Or, Google choreography/step/aerobics, etc. Turnstep.com has some good stuff.

As far as music, sometimes I make my own. Don't have an Ipod yet, but lots of instructors use those, just organizing the playlist before class then plugging it into the stereo.

If you need a 32ct., again Google, many companies sell aerobic music, tapes and cds. One of my fave instructors makes 32 ct. step music for me b/c he's got a fancy system at home. Other things like a weights class and kickboxing - you could take straight from a cd/tape and turn up the pitch.

I use www.johnsines.com for almost all my music. His music is the orignal artist signing.

I also teach a weight class and pilates and a lot of the students have commented that they like the music and some even wanted to order it just for themselves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.