Tape up injury

cathe4me2

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-01 AT 07:07AM (Est)[/font][p]My sister-in-law runs and when she has a pulled muscle, (hamstring) overstretched or is sore, she justices down, sprays BenGay, wraps it with an ACE bandage, and keeps on going. She says this is what athletes do.(?) Does the bandage isolate an injury so that you can keep exercising?
A PT in our area suggests to his patients that stopping exercise and or sports with this type of injury is bad for you too. Ice down before and after exercise and bandage it, stretch but not over stretch is his advice.
I know you don't give medical advice, but I just wanted your suggestions as I am here with the same problem. While doing side lunges in S&L,(20# dumbell probalby wasn't necessary)I overstretched and I had a burn pain that felt like being cut with a razor blade in the left adductor, last week. Now it feels achy. I've been doing upper body work but I miss my aerobics. :'( I've been working out since '86, so I'm not new to exercise, just new to this type of injury.. :-(
Wanda

Hi Wanda! I'm sorry to hear of your injury. I truly cannot offer a suggestion to you since it is unwise for me to guess at what your injury may be. Your best bet is to have it looked at so that you can get back to your normal workout routine as soon as possible. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Take Care :)!

Cathe,
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my question. You are such an awesome lady!!!! :)
Yesterday it felt better, just a little achy. I iced down, wrapped it with Ace, did Chest & Back, felt good enough in the afternoon to do Rythmic Step. Now, Today I feel a burn in the adductor, that has a twinge sometimes when I walk, and weirdly, both hamstrings. I will rest over the weekend, keep icing down and have it looked at, per your suggestion on Monday.
I have lupus in my knees and for years my doctors have told me to keep exericising through the pain. That is why it is so hard for me to distinguish the aches etc I get with lupus from a possible injury; and why my continual working out may appear so Dumb!
Again, my humblest thanks. I mentioned it before on another thread somewhere, but again, Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your new little one. :-jumpy Are you starting to think of wallpaper themes and colors yet? ;-)
Wanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.