Swimming for weight loss/strength gains?

missyb70

Cathlete
We recently bought a house with an inground swimming pool. I've been doing Cathe workouts for several years but was thinking about incorporating some pool workouts into my routine. I don't really know how to "swim" as far as actual strokes and breathing, etc., but my Shape magazine last month had a workout that was more drill-type exercises than actual swimming - - running, jumping, etc. However I've done some research online and the consensus seems to be that swimming is not good for weight loss (and could actually increase appetite??). It seems like swimming would be a great cardio workout to me. I'm also wondering how it fares in terms of a resistance/strength workout? Or would I be better off sticking with my cardio and weight DVDS to see real results? Do you have any thoughts/knowledge on this subject? I should mention I'm looking for25 lbs weight/fat loss and of course strength/muscle gains. Thanks!

Congrats on the pool!

I think the jury is out on weight loss when swimming. Personally, I have known many who have lost weight, but many who havent'. I personally did, but when I swim, it is NOT an easy, slow stroke, I swim all out for 2500 yards. I have been a daily lap swimmer for 25 years (this sept). My mom is also a daily swimmer and while she doesn't need to lose any weight, she is 75 and swims competitively. She also takes yoga, pilates and strength classes.

What swimming has done for me: ENDURANCE. No question about it, my endurance is very very high. I will not lift the most weight, or run the fastest (or swim the fastest although I would say I am faster than 90% or more of the swimmers at my YMCA)....but I will outlast just about anyone, and I'm 52. I think it has made my heart very strong. As for my mom, she DOES have some heart issues, and has had them since I was a teenager, and has had 2 laser surgeries on her heart and her cardiologist told her her heart is as strong as a bull's.
Swimming daily has made me LOVE, not dread, exercise. I HATED exercise whenever I tried doing it (in the 1970's).....never lasted long. In sept 1980 I began swimming laps and I am still at it... I added in videos and running and I just love exercise now. Swimming makes me feel coordinated, LOL (once I got over the initial all 4 limbs for themselves thing in the beginning).
It also helped me to quit smoking. The desire just went away.
In the beginning, my appetite increased, but then I wasn't an exerciser at all.....but it leveled out. I didn't gain weight though and I did lose a few.

I've never done water exercise classes but my sister teaches them and she loves it.

I would not rely on swimming alone for my exercise program because you do need land-based exercise to take advantage of gravity. But swimming *enhances* every other exercise I have ever done in the past 25 years. I love it more today than ever.

Good luck with it!
Barbara P

Swimming can indeed promote fat loss, but as Barbara said so well, you have to swim VIGOROUSLY. And you have to vary your stroke so your body doesn't get too comfortable in one mode and you don't start phoning in your session.

I've been an aqua group fitness instructor for 8 and a half years now, and I am here to tell you that the pool can be an awesome place for a cardio and muscle ENDURANCE workout. Strength, not so much unless you are an absolute beginner.

In addition to swimming workouts and the things you saw in SHAPE magazine, check out the following websites to see about videos and DVDs for aquatic workouts that aren't necessarily traditional swimming:

www.hydrofit.com

www.aeawave.com

www.speedo.com

www.kiefer.com

www.fwonline.com (Fitness Wholesale)

A-Jock

And for me, adding in a swimming workout once a week allows me to do a cardio when my knees are achy from Cathe, running, biking. Instead of having to rest, I can swim. It is very nice to have the exercise and I'm sure I must burn some calories, as I swim a mile in 40 minutes. That can't be the same as sitting on the sofa!

I strongly recommend aqua-fitness as Aquajock suggests too. If I had my own pool, I'm sure I'd be doing that too.

I've never done a water aerobics type workout but I learned to swim about 5 years ago because I wanted to do triathlons (have been doing triathlons since 2000). Can't say for sure if it helped with weight loss because I do so much other training but the biggest benefit I've found with swimming (and I'd think this would be true with any type of water exercise) is the recovery and low impact factor. I find that I recover faster from other workouts and that overall my joints feel so much better. Those facts alone are enough for me to continue swimming. I think swimming itself does have some strength building because my husband and I both noticed an increase in my shoulder/back size which is good because I've always been pear shaped and had a weaker/smaller upper body. I think the endurance and the resistance of the water definitely builds muscle. Any exercise you can do will help you so give it a try especially since you have that pool so handy!!

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.