STS or Xtrain

str8shooter

Cathlete
I have both these programs. Lately I've been stuck in a workout rut but I need to get with a program. ;-). I've had a couple of minor reoccurring injuries lately that have healed. I'm just wanting your opinion on which program would be best to do first to build a strong base. I'm thinking Xtrain first and then STS. Still not sure though and would love yours and the other catheletes advice. I just fear/ dread all the push-ups in Meso 1 b/c I have tweaky shoulders. So I want to build up some strength and endurance in them.
Amy

I have both these programs. Lately I've been stuck in a workout rut but I need to get with a program. ;-). I've had a couple of minor reoccurring injuries lately that have healed. I'm just wanting your opinion on which program would be best to do first to build a strong base. I'm thinking Xtrain first and then STS. Still not sure though and would love yours and the other catheletes advice. I just fear/ dread all the push-ups in Meso 1 b/c I have tweaky shoulders. So I want to build up some strength and endurance in them.
Amy

Hi Amy,

Not cathe but would like to share my opinion. It's good you have both.:):):)

As per what you have quoted above, STS will enable you build endurance and strength. xtrain is a hypertrophy (building and increasing size in muscles) pack. I would do STS first then do hypertrophy. Remember to take a break after STS completion before moving on to X-train.

meso 1 is demanding for push ups but feel free to do them on your knees.
X-train is a heavy program and it is still demanding on your shoulder even though it's just Working and assisting for other exercises. Not as demanding as push up from meso 1 I must admit;

BTW, you need to build up endurance to be able to smoothly lift those 8-12 reps hypertrophy phase.

HTH,

All the best,

Nckfitheart2009, Interesting perspective for doing STS first. I guess I was leaning towards Xtrain b/c it focuses so much on the assisting muscle groups. I was thinking it would make for stronger joints and less risk for injury. Now you've got me re-thinking my rotation decision ;-). I've done both sets of workouts but never a consistent full 3 month rotation.

I'd put in another vote for XTrain - for the reasons you mention Str8shooter, but also because the weights involved are lower - less chance of injury. I seem to remember Cathe gets no higher than about 35lb throughout Xtrain ( I may have not remembered correctly) - which is easy enough to hold. With STS you'll be going MUCH heavier (eg for Meso#3 I was deadlifting 130lb). This can cause forearms, shoulders, wrists, elbows etc quite a bit of additional strain. I think Xtrain would prep you for this.

Of course, it depends on your goal(s). I get a more 'cut' look from Xtrain - maybe just because I get so hungry during the later stages of STS.

I've done XTrain 3 month undulating rotation, and I'm just finishing up an 8 month STS rotation. I'll be revisiting Xtrain later this year!

I'd love to hear Cathe's input.

Justine (PS - either way, they're both wonderful programmes)

Nckfitheart2009, Interesting perspective for doing STS first. I guess I was leaning towards Xtrain b/c it focuses so much on the assisting muscle groups. I was thinking it would make for stronger joints and less risk for injury. Now you've got me re-thinking my rotation decision ;-). I've done both sets of workouts but never a consistent full 3 month rotation.

Hi,

There is no harm in doing xtrain before STS. It all depend on your goal should you have a clearly identified disclosed one. The outcome of a ramdom sts cycle is different compared to a consistent full 3 months rotations. There is no doubt! Meso 1 which is an endurance phase was not, I believe, ramdomly sequenced in that specific order. Endurance meso1, hypertrophy meso2, then strength 3.
As i quoted above, a good endurance gained throughout phase meso 1 help in bearing the intensity during hypertrophy.

That being said meso1 is also very intense. Meso2 is very intense too lol we know cathe's middle name is INTENSITY :D:D. IMO the first meso 1 is intense due to minimal rest period and the element challenged is aerobic. meso 2 is also intense with a added element anaerobic.

Now if you are a newbie or know for sure your anaerobic capacity need improving , workout aerobically first before adding an anaerobic element to it. Plus you need more strength lifting heavy for xtrain. Repetitive reps on meso1 help to establish neural pathway (muscle memory) to get stronger.
Hope this make sense ;-)

Last edited:
I would do the x train program and if you have the new wo I'd add those cardio in for verity when strain calls for cardio and u want a different one .. I mean u are dreading the push ups and I think to get out of a rut u have to have fun. So I'd say sts needs to wait till u are getting. Back into it. X train is fun yet effective and u can change it up u can do 90 days or 30 days and you could even do the weights on the same day as cardio if you'd rather do one body part. I'd say do what is fun! That should help you get excited again !!

Thanks everyone for all of your input. You guys are all so knowledgeable and offer great advice. I really appreciate your thoughts. I've been working out regularly for over 15 years and I started doing Cathe workouts in 2011. I'm 39 years young. Cathe is the bomb and I trust her workouts and know they work. I unfortunately have exercise ADD, LOL, and have trouble making myself stick with a rotation even though I know I'll get the best results that way. I think I'll do a full 90 day Xtrain rotation adding in the new workouts for some spice. I'm addicted to both Party Rockin' Steps!
Thanks everybody!!;-)
Amy

Hi

This is an interesting post and very relevant to me too. I had a trapped nerve fixed in November in my ulnar nerve. I have been back to normalish Cathe in the last month, as I've had the doctors go ahead. I say nornalish, in that certain exercises have been easier than others and also some of the obvious arm exercises have been easier than others. The work was done on the left elbow. However pushups are now okay, back work like rows okay and triceps generally okay. However the biggest challenge to me is the loss of strength in my biceps. I thought it would be more tricep than bicep.

Anyway I definitely want to do another round of STS soon. Also I did the three month X Train rotation last year and got great results, so I definitely want to do that again. I've wondered about whether to start with X Train again or STS first. I think from all the votes I'm going to go with the X Train again.

Laura
xx

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.