STS equipment

vscottpt

Hi Cathe,
I'm thinking about purchasing a barbel system in preparation for STS. What system do you recommend and how much weight would be sufficient?
Also, my heaviest dumbell is 15 pounds. Should I purchase heavier ones?
Thanks for your input!
Vanessa

Not Cathe here, obviously, but the answer to your question lies in your level of fitness in the weight lifting arena. Are the 15s easy or do they sit collecting dust b/c they are too heavy? I would think that you are probably able to use them for some things and if so, then I would increase my weight collection b/c you will (should) gain strength with STS. I have 25s and 30s that I am not able to use yet but will soon. I can now use the 25s to bang out a few reps for back. My 30s do, indeed, sit there collecting dust for now but I do plan on needing them. :D As for the barbell, Cathe and crew use the Troy Lite, I believe. I got a system at Sports Authority. The bar is heavier so that helps not need to load so many weights, and it is one piece so there is not that connection that sits on your shoulders. Academy has basically the same system that I got. Both places often have them on sale and with coupons at times. I went to Play It Again Sports to get some more weight b/c I wanted 2 25s and these systems only go up to 10s, but they give you 4 of those, a bunch of 5s and 2.5s. The bar is supposed to weight 15 but mine weighs 12 so somewhere around there gives you and idea of the weight of the bar. I think the one Cathe uses is 5 lbs. The only thing with these systems is that the bars are short. I later got a squat rack and it took a standard barbell, but mine was too short. My new bar is 15 lbs but I still use the shorter one for workouts where I don't need the rack. Boy, I am rambling. Hope something here helped you out :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.