Stronger Lower Back

werkenonit

Cathlete
Lately I've been using more strength training workouts and I've noticed my back is sometimes sore. I'm not sure whether its sore because the muscles are being worked or sore for a more sinister reason. I had noticed this same problem before(except much worse) when I did the original Taebo Advanced video years and years ago. I actually got rid of the video because I thought it might be damaging my back. Could it be it was just an effective muscle workout? Should I not be worried unless I'm feeling actual pain?

What exercises can I focus on to strengthen my lower back?
(I have the body blast and intensity series)

Does core work also work the lower back?

Appreciate any advice on this:)
Angie

Angie, I used to have bad lower back pain. I started incorporating a lot of core work & supermans & they do help a lot. Just don't over do them at first. And yes the dead lift are strength builders. I just can't stress enough that you need to use good body mechanics when you do them or when you lift any heavy weight for that matter. Squat & lift with your legs rather than ybending & lifting with your back. I;m a nurse so I know about lifting dead weight.:p

Marla

Hi Angie,

I've also had lower back soreness after a lot of workouts. I've found that yoga does a really good job of relieving it - there's a lot of focus on lengthening the spine and core work.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I plan to slowly incorporate more deadlifts and supermans in my workout. I tried yoga years ago but I didn't care for it. It's too bad because it has so many benefits.

We received 6" of snow last night here in Wisconsin. All I need to do is grab a shovel and there is a good lower back exercise right outside my door!!! I think I'll use the snowblower tho....}(

Cheers :)
Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.