strength training for weight loss...

E

emma

Hi Cathe!

I have been studying the rotations you have kindly put together for others. A couple of the the ladies have wanted to lose weight. I noticed for those ladies you had them vary the type of weight training a great deal. Typically you would have them change the kind of weight training every one- two weeks. For instance, in the "16 Week Maximum Weight Loss" rotaion you have PS for one week, MIS for one week, CTX for one week, then back to PS, repeated four times.

So, my question is, does changing the way you lift weights every week promote greater weight loss/less actual strength gains. On the otherhand, I assume if you stay with the same tapes (such as PS) for an extended amount of time (6 - 12 weeks) will get you more strength gains and less weight loss. Is this correct? If not, could you give me the reasoning behind switching the strength tapes so often?

I appreciate all you do for me! Look forward to your response.

Emma

Hi Emma! I'm not sure if you are referring to the rotation "booklet" that was put together by one of our fellow fitness friends and then distributed to those who wanted it, but I must say I am unfamiliar with the content of it. If it contains rotations that I have written for people in the past, then it is only fair for me to say that anytime I have written a rotation for someone, it was based on a question(s) that they have specifically asked me based on their needs or on the content that they have provided me with. Therefore my advice to them may not be the absolute advice for all. It all truly depends on what their question was. Just something to consider:).

But looking at your actual question, if you want to promote optimal strength gains, it is best to stay with a rotation that focuses on strength gains. That does not necessarily mean the exact same workout rotation (although I prefer this method to mixing it up too frequently), but it does mean sticking to the exact same strength focus.

Also, staying with the same rotation for 6 to 12 weeks, does not mean less weight loss gains. Building lean muscle mass promotes extra calories burned overall. The more overall calories you burn, the more weight you lose (as long as your calorie output overides your calorie intake). Hope this helps and good luck with everything:)!

Hi again! I knew I was going to confuse you! :eek:) I don't know when I jotted down this rotation, and I can't find the original post but, I found it on a thread entitled "Please Help" on Sept. 11, 2001 if this helps you refresh your memory.

Anyway, I do understand that everyone's body reacts differently. I also understand that any weight training will help with weight loss. You have taught me well here on your forum! :eek:)

I think my main question is if changing your strength tapes from week to week generally gives people a better chance at weight loss then just sticking with the same tape for a longer period of time (for example PS 6 weeks, then MIS for 6 weeks). I hope this makes sense.

Right now I would love to lose a couple of pounds. For the past 2 years I've been sticking to the same weight tapes for 6- 8 weeks (along with cardio 3-4 times a week). While amazing things have happened to me, I haven't lost those last couple of pounds. Do you think changing my strength tapes around quickly could be my answer? Will this be the way to shock my body into letting those two pounds go?!

Emma

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-01 AT 11:57AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Emma! There really is no exact answer to your questions. But I always say that figuring out what your body most favorably responds to requires a little bit of experimenting. And in your case since you said that you have aleady done the same weight rotations for 6 to 8 week increments, then yes, I would now suggest to do the more rapid changes and see what happenes. Also, keep in mind that the closer you get toward your last few pounds, the more reluctant the body is to want to part with them. It takes so much more effort and unfortunately you get the results at half the speed. Keep focused and let me know how you make out. Good Luck:)!

P.S. You may want to add a day of cardio to your weekly workouts and/or make a couple of your existing weekly cardio workouts interval workouts (if they aren't already).

Cathe, I really am grateful for your help in this matter. I will try your suggestions, including adding interval workouts once a week. I'll let you know how it goes! :) Emma

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.