STRANGE WEIGHT TRAINING ADVICE

ksandvoss

Cathlete
Dear Cathy:

I recently visited my brother in law and sister in law. Only six weeks ago they began an intensive weight training program with a personal trainer, one with a very ripped physique. He trains many professional athletes. I was amazed at the dramatic results they have received. Prior to training with this person, they were both slim with toned bodies. Now they, particularly my sister in law, look much more defined and cut. Being someone who was always been more muscular than the two of them because of several years of doing weight training with your videos (i.e., Max Intensity Weight) and from my own discipline, I was amazed at these dramatic results.

Here is how they achieved their results: My sister in law does weight training in a gym four days a week with her husband at 2hours/day. They work upper body one day and lower the next. She does 3 sets of from 30-50 reps for each exercise at a moderate to heavy weight (10-15 for biceps). Her husband does fewer reps and heavier weight. To achieve the cut below her deltoid muscle, she does an odd hammer curl with her palms face down (to me it looks like a forearm curl, but I do see the delt being worked). She also does alternate bicep curls while lying on a 45degree incline and both arms completely extended at her sides. She extends them and curls one at a time for 30-50 reps/. She does a very very low squat (actually it is a leg press) with her legs wide apart because her trainer says that works more of the whole leg rather tha just quads and gluts. These are just some examples of what they do. She does no cardio, as the trainer says she is working aerobically while weight training. From what she says, it sounds like it could be anaerobic. He does one day of swimming.

They say the diet that this trainer has put them on is also key to their success. They eat tons of eggs and red meat. Plenty of fresh vegetables and fish are also encouraged. No dairy, bananas, salmon, or carrots and complex carbs are limited. However, next week the trainer is increasing their carbs. A typical day for my brother in law is a steak, 3 eggs and 3 egg whites, maybe a piece of fruit or whole grain for breakfast. For lunch he has tuna or some other fish and vegetables, and maybe rice if he didn't have any grains at breakfast. He has a 3rd meal of 4 eggs or a protein shake. For dinner he has another steak with lots of vegetables. My sister in law's meals are just smaller portions of what he has.

Can you tell me if this trainer's methods are safe? I like the results I see in my in laws. They look incredible. But I cannot imagine eating so much protein, so little carbs, and no dairy.

Thanks,

kathy

Hi Kathy,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here to ask a question. I'm wondering as far as the diet goes, why is lots of red meat encouraged but no salmon?

I'm just really curious. Cathe said on another thread that she should be back on the computer more regularly very soon. Just FYI :)

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1.gif

Hi Alli,

Not sure exactly why. I should have said lean red meat. I know that the trainer has said that Salmon is a fatty fish. He does encourage them to eat lots of Tuna and Cod. I think the emphasis on red meat and eggs is because of the high protein. They are also encouraged to use olive oil and vinegar in moderation on their salads, so this is still a relatively low fat diet without being fat free. He will increase their carbs next week and lower their fat a little because he does not want them to plateu.

I can't help but ask, what types of jobs do your brother and sister-in-law have? I can't imagine having two hours a day to work out! That sounds like such a tough regimen! I could never survive it. Sounds like the trainer knows how to get excellent results, but I always worry about a person's arteries when they eat all that high cholesterol. I'll be watching this thread for what Cathe says. I'm curious too about what Cathe says about the wide stance squats, etc.

They are squeezing the workouts in right now, but note they only work this intensely 4 days/week. The trainer will help them to complete their workouts in less time. Currently they are working together, which takes more time. She is a highschool teacher off for the summer, but working on her masters degree. He runs his own Mortgage Company. As for cholesterol, I have read that there is some new research that indicates eggs may not be as harmful as we were once informed. Although they eat lean meals, I think it is far too high in protein. However, I have noticed when reading about bodybuilders that many eat heavy amounts of protein. This may be where this approach comes from. If the two of them didn't look so fantastic (not twiggy, but healthy), I would dismiss this as another high protein fad diet.

Kathy

There's no way to know this now, of course, but I'd be interested in seeing how long they are able to maintain this level of fitness in the long term--over the months and years--given the rigid and demanding nature of both the diet and the exercise regimens you've described.

Also, from what you've said, it seems that they are both pretty dependent on the trainer, who no doubt charges a fair amount to achieve these kinds of results for clients. I'm no nutritionist, but the diet does not sound well-balanced or particularly healthy or wholesome. It sounds like they've achieved fabulous results, however, so I wish them continued discipline and success.

Perhaps Cathe will weigh in on this now that video filming is done and she has a bit more time for this forum.:)

I agree with atgood above - this routine doesn't sound sustainable. And, I hope your sister-in-law is taking calcium supplements if she's not eating any dairy.

However, I understand that while "getting there" takes lots of work, maintenance doesn't require as much.

I just couldn't possibly eat all that red meat. And, the USDA approved ONE egg PER DAY, although egg WHITES are probably open season. The diet just sounds like a lot of cholesterol.

Hi Kathy,

That diet reminds me of the famous Zone diet, you know eat all the meat you want, but limit carbs. This type of diet has been shown to produce great "looking" results initially, but over time nutient deficiencies begin to develope...so you know, just be careful...and stay fit.:)

DeeDee

Hi DEEDEE

Hi DEEDEE,
Actually I think your thinking of Atkins Diet or Protien Power. The Zone Diet is actually a 40-30-30 plan. 40 percent from carbs, 30 percent from protien and 30 from fat.

I do have to admit that if you follow the Zone Diet following his formula's of how much you should eat it is a rather low calorie diet.

Dawn W

Atgood,

I am anxious for Cathe to weigh in on this. I think the diet is expensive, tedious, and possibly unhealthy. They are both taking calcium supplements and eating calcium enriched foods. They eat an abundance and variety of vegetables. I am not convinced there is a real reason to eliminate dairy and limit foods like fruit and salmon.

Actually, they are not so dependent on the trainer. They have been so disciplined that he just has to set them up and meet with them only when they need to make a change. I actually believe that 1/HR/day (this is what they will eventually be able to do once they get faster) for 4 days/week is easily achievable. I myself train for an hour or more 4-6 days/week. My main interest is in how they have achieved visible definition in only 6 weeks. Her arms look like Madonna's did when she was training 4hrs/day.

Kathy

RE: Hi DEEDEE

Atgood and all,

I am anxious for Cathe to weigh in on this. I think the diet is expensive, tedious, and possibly unhealthy. They are both taking calcium supplements and eating calcium enriched foods. They eat an abundance and variety of vegetables. I am not convinced there is a real reason to eliminate dairy and limit foods like fruit and salmon.

Actually, they are not so dependent on the trainer. They have been so disciplined that he just has to set them up and meet with them only when they need to make a change. I actually believe that 1/HR/day (this is what they will eventually be able to do once they get faster) for 4 days/week is easily achievable. I myself train for an hour or more 4-6 days/week. My main interest is in how they have achieved visible definition in only 6 weeks. Her arms look like Madonna's did when she was training 4hrs/day.

Kathy

Hello Kathy,

Seeing results in only 6 weeks isn't that far fetched. That probably has a lot to do with body type. I'm your classic mesomorph, I have thick dense muscle with a slightly larger than medium frame (which I love because muscle looks so good on me...when you can see it.:) ). But my point is I built and maintain muscle very, very easily. I can usually up my weights in four weeks or so because I adapt to weight training so easily (execpt with Body Pump style work outs, those take me a bit longer), the down side, I can also get pretty flabby over my muscles very easily if I get lazy. Have fun and stay fit.

DeeDee

The plan sounds a bit goofy to me. Where's the ever so important balance? I'd never accept even lean red meat over complex carbs. Hi protein diets are death for the kidneys and the liver and not too great for the heart. The program is intensive and it's working but can they maintain it? Would anyone want to? Interesting, though!:) Also, the no salmon really confuses me. It's so great for you!

I followed a similar diet and workout plan for about 5 years when I was 25-30 and doing fitness modeling. I didn't cut out dairy though. You can maintain it, but it is tough. I was also single and had the extra time to spend in the gym and only cooked for myself. I was about 15% body fat. It can be done, but it is tough work.

Colleen

strange weight advice

Colleen,

Do you think the diet is the reason they are so cut up? Is it healthy in the long run?

Kathy

Hi Kathy! After reading your post I must say I was intrigued. I decided to try it. After only 2 weeks I see much more definition in my upper body and legs than ever before! I upped the protein too. I don't, however, eat everyday steak and eggs. I'll eat it only once a week but I eat oatmeal or have a protein shake for breakfast. I can only do 60 reps total for each body part instead of what they do which is 90 but still see a difference. I'll check in again after 6 weeks and let you know how I did. Very interesting post. Thanks a lot! Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.