stopped lifting started swimming and lost weight

thinkgod1

Cathlete
i used to exercise 2 hours a day 6 or 7 days a weeks hurt my knees pretty bad i did half strenght half cardio now i exercise less. Swimming every other day i do back extentions exercise on the ball for posture every day about 30 reps every morning and thats it! i lost weight belly thighs and pants fit looser . diet is still the same my diet is (not good not bad) i never count calories i dont eat vegs like i should but i dont eat any sweets i never have the desire for sweets like some people. i eat fruits salads pizza white bread white rice beef pork. i take a lot..... of vitamins no drink or smoke for me. i think drinking and smoking ruins peoples health and diet:)

Perhaps you were overtraining and your body started to retain lots of water to maintain hydration in the body (and muscles which needs water). You may have kept some of the fat on also, when you were overtraining because your body used it as stores to take you through another training session. Training 7 days a week is a lot on one's body.
Also, you may have lost a lot of muscle now that you don't strength train with weights. Muscle weighs more than fat, so when people initially lose weight on a diet they are probably losing more water and muscle than fat, unless of course one utilizes proper diet and exercise program (and then it still can happen). Sometimes our bodies need to change up the plan and take a break. It sounds like your knees needed you to do this. I wish you luck and happy swimming.

:)

I doubt if there is that much loss of muscle. I swim, and am around a lot of swimmer. Swimming gives you quite a bit of muscle. My son never lifted weights, only swam and was quite chisoled and had 6 pack abs.

definately overtraining might be the reason why no weight loss. Also, swimming is a tremendous calorie burner, so even though you are not exercising as many days, the calorie burn is still quite good.

Good morning ThinkGod1,

From what I understand even body builders need to take weeks off during the year. I don't know what thier creteria is for that per se, but perhaps that is also what your body was telling you to do.

Continue with what you are doing and just watch and see how things go. Eat balanced meals, with protein, vegies, fruit, legumes, and whole grains. Drink lots of water.

Let us know how you are doing from time to time, take care,

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Resistance is key for increased bone density. Without strength training to make your body build bone density, you could run into trouble down the line. You might considering decreasing the weight you use, but do use weights. Everyone needs cardiovascular training coupled with strength training and flexibility training. Cross-training is also important. Swimmers get shoulder issues and are over developed in the upper body. Without muscle balance, the chance of injury increases. I would take what you have and build on it, adding emphasis to lower body training and inserting other types of cardio which complement swimming, such as walking or running, elliptical training. Most of all, be happy. :)
Bobbi http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/hb.gif

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/bis.gif
Tell me what it is you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbifreedman

Swimmers work pretty hard at their lower body strength as well as their upper body, so they are not unbalanced in their muscles. Try doing vertical kicking in a diving well, and see how hard your core and lower body work. Work breastroke, and see how you inner thighs get sore if you do it right. Swimming is a great whole body exercise.

Water is not enough resistance for bone loss prevention, so adding weight training is important.

i am going back to weights but i have to do weights sitting down or on my back my knees cant take it thats why im swimming

thank you janiejoe you knnow i like that saying (If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.